So Dads trying to pull it off...

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Junior M, Jan 9, 2010.

1. curtisfarmer

curtisfarmer LawnSite Senior Member

2. Junior M

Junior M LawnSite Fanatic

I've been around or involved in the installation of several systems and I've never seen an inspector on the job..

3. curtisfarmer

Thats too bad...and disappointing knowing these things are not being inspected in some areas. With that much $ being spent....and the replacment cost sometimes being more....someone needs to ensure the quality of the system. And, it keeps the wolves and shiesters at bay knowing your work better pass muster. The guy that does all my trucking is big into spetic and he had a full leach (pipe and stone system) bed rejected cause the washed 1.5" stone had too many fines in it. With large aggregate piles, always ask for the stuff off the sides as that is where there is less fines. Around here, they are even looking at your stone, sand, and all the connections pipe wise too.

Sounds like I could go down south, get myself a hoe on Craigslist and be installing tomorrow:laugh:

4. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

First you say it's not Rocket science then you post this?

5. curtisfarmer

Installing and repairing systems is not rocket science....but from the sounds of it (my post about having real regs that prevent exactly what you described AWJ, too many failed systems) it may look like it up here:dizzy:
    I am suprised you don't have similiar regulations and safe guards to ensure proper construction of a potential source of pollution. Do you AWJ, I am just curious how its done down there? Some posts sound like there is no code, enforcement, or oversite??? It cannot be.

Septic "skills" require not much more than basic construction and dirt work knowledge and skills. And, JR take note,...it uses many common tools and equipment:clapping: Using a laser, reading plans, paying attention to proper pipe bedding, compaction, site reclamation, drainage,ect. All of these should be readily available skills learned from experience by anyone in the dirt biz. Am I wrong, is it done differently elsewhere? I now we up here are pretty tight about soils and affluent disposal areas.....sounds like the wild west down south......septic next to well heads:laugh:

6. AWJ Services

from Ga

Sounds like you have plenty of experience installing Septic systems. How long have you been doing them?

7. curtisfarmer

I don't do installs, only repairs and a whole bunch of "site completions". I do have several friends and neighbors who do only installs and being on the planning board, I see about 120+ designs a year.

AWJ, what is up with the septic situation down there? I asked about regs and common practices. Is there something I left out or you guys do different down there?

8. AWJ Services

from Ga

So you don't do installs.

There where thousands of new systems a month going in here in metro area during the building boom. Thats not counting repairs. How many are installed a month in your area? How many systems do you have in your state. Whats the concentration on your systems per acre. What credentials do your soil scientists have?
    Does an engineer design your systems?
    Whats a PE stamp?

9. curtisfarmer

AWJ, too many ?s too fast. I do not know the broad figures you are asking, but I did mention the # going in a small town like mine...so extrapolate that I guess to get a broad idea. We too have had a huge boom, and down in MA where my mom lives....so does the the dreaded Title 5 act which creates crazy hump systems in peoples yards cause the water table is so high. I am talking humps with lolipop vent pipes in the front lawn HIGHER than the 1st floor window. A PE stamp is a prof. engineer with a registered & #ed stamp, a soil scientist is just that, akin to a surveyor, just specific to soil types and wetlands ect. For our Affluent Disposal Area, you need 4K sq' per 2 acres dry delineated upland. Test pits required, with as built if not located properly. This is the zoning requirements for most towns, and the state has the specific soil based rates of perc. and sizing specs for each lot.

What is it like down there, I havn't heard any details from anyone here what its like elsewhere?

10. jefftb

jefftb LawnSite Senior Member

I'd tell you but I've no idea on the actual location. At this point we are just in a very, very preliminary discussion. He called me to discuss a few things, then called me back about a week later and gave me info to do some preliminary pricing for various bldg densities and assuming the worst GA regs on the drip.