So Dads trying to pull it off...

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Junior M, Jan 9, 2010.

1. YellowDogSVC

YellowDogSVC LawnSite Gold Member
    from TX

if your dad could negotiate the rental price?? The machine may be sitting on the lot with no income for dealer.

2. ioilyouin

ioilyouin LawnSite Senior Member

Have you priced the forestry package? I believe it's North of 5K.

3. MackCat

MackCat LawnSite Member

2,800 a week, thats WAY high when i first started mowing R.O.W. I rented a Posi- Track with the cutter for 3,600 a Month

4. DCsouth

DCsouth LawnSite Member

Okay. Plan C. 2800 a week @52 month=145,600.00 Even 16 weeks (4 months) is 44k. Those are not very good numbers. I would be looking for a used machine. Not a skid steer but a dedicated machine. I know where a Rayco 87 is with an added overhead cooling package for 30k I think, with head would be 60k. This would be a good startup tractor. It has the same flow and psi as a ASV-100. I tested it so I know.
    This would eliminate the whole added forestry package for it is properly equipped. You will loose alittle manuverability but will gain in better durability. Plus this package with planier head will outcut a Bobcat and Bobcat head 2-1. Just my .02 cents

5. Junior M

Junior M LawnSite Fanatic

When I called last about a T320, it was running $3,500 a week.. Dad talked to our salesman and he said he could do $2,800 sense its just sitting on the yard doing nothing..

I highly doubt Dad will go any farther with this. I'll ask him tomorrow if he's called the guy.

6. Junior M

A forestry package has to be cheaper when you price a $25k T300, with like lets say(just a pure guess) $15k in attachments and outfitting the machine. (Fecon and forestry package) compared to a $90k T320 already set up..

7. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

OK, thats an insane amount of money. Thats about 12k a month to Bobcat. I guess it all depends on what your doing and what you can get the bid for. The other option is brush hog all that you can, and hire someone to mulch what you could not get. You might find that you can clear the same amount of money without the risk or headache. Just a thought.

8. Junior M

I mentioned the samething to Dad and he was told the material that needed mowed was to large for a bush hog..

I just got home from work not to long ago and he's already asleep, so I'll see whats going on in the morning..

9. YellowDogSVC

YellowDogSVC LawnSite Gold Member
    from TX

you could buy my s330 and put OTT tracks on it for less than that rentals comes out to over a couple of months. I would try and negotiate a bit.
    Another option. Look at renting an s220K series or S250 or S300 and buy or rent a Davco. It will knock down anything you want up to about 6". Still need lexan but it is a lot less maintenance and the learning curve isn't so steep.

I wouldn't invest in a dedicated machine. You can make too much money doing side jobs with skid steer attachments. Grapple work alone pays well.

10. AEL

AEL LawnSite Bronze Member