So Disappointed in SCAG

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Miss You Son, Oct 19, 2006.

1. Miss You Son

Miss You Son LawnSite Member

When my Son passed away, I immediately gave our mowing business away. Just couldn't go back to the lawns without him. We had 2 Scags, mine and his. I could not part with his, which was newer, just for sentimental reasons. I only use it on my own yard now, 2 acres. In the last year I have had to replace 2 spindles and last week both hydraulic pumps went out at once. Got it back this morning the cost of $1,463.13. Unbelievable. Each pump was $450.oo. Worse part is I paid $800 in the spring to have it completely serviced so it would be in good shape in my Son's honor. This machine only has 463 hours on it.

Sorry for the long post but had to get it off my chest.

I Miss You Partner

2. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

First off im sorry to hear about your son. Isn't the scag still under warrenty? You should call them up, it sounds like WAY to much stuff has gone wrong for 463 hours.

Cheers
    Jeff

3. martinfan06

martinfan06 LawnSite Senior Member

Very sorry for your loss, yes I would also check into the warranty also.

4. Willofalltrades

Willofalltrades LawnSite Bronze Member

The warranty may be up, but if Hydrogear pumps are going at 463 hours I would write the company or call. See if you can get some kind of reimburstment. What model scag is it? It sounds like you and your son were close. Its going to take time to heal after something as tragic as loosing your son. Remember, you got a whole family here that are always willing to listen when you need to talk. -Will

5. watatrp

watatrp LawnSite Senior Member

I had to have a hydro drive rebuilt last summer. It was just 2 months out of warranty but the dealer stepped up and had Scag pay for parts and I paid for labor. I was told that they were having problems with some of the gears and metal shavings making them fail prematurely. Might be worth your while to look into that. It's a problem Scag is aware of.

6. Miss You Son

I want to thank you all for your kind caring words. They are so appreciated.

Will of All Trades, Yes Donny and I were extremely close. He always bragged about our close Father and Son relationship. Saw him everyday even when not mowing as he would stop by on his way home from work. We traveled everywhere together including your neck of the woods. Took me to Canton Football Hall of Fame when Montana got inducted then to the Browns Stadium etc. Also went to NASCAR races all over the country. He was much more than my Son, he was my best friend, my partner and my life.

Thank you all so much for you advice and for caring.

Don from New Jersey

7. Miss You Son

Forgot to add the machine is a 2002 Scag Turf Tiger, 62" and he babied it all the time.

8. Mr.Ziffel

Mr.Ziffel LawnSite Senior Member

Sorry for your loss. I'm suspicious of what your dealer could have done in the spring that cost you $800 for a complete service? What kind of work could cost that much on a mower that your son "babied all the time"?

I suggest that you look to the dealer not Scag and ask some hard questions. I would hope they're not taking advantage of your loss but something doesn't sound right here. Will M>

9. steve45

steve45 LawnSite Bronze Member

Sorry to hear about your son.

I have to agree with Mr. Ziffel. $800 sounds like an awful lot of money for routine service. Worse yet, losing BOTH pumps at the same time sounds very suspicious. I'm not saying that they sabotaged it, but they may have put in contaminated oil, or the wrong oil filter, or something like that. Even if Scag is having problems with pumps, I find it hard to believe that both would fail that close together.

(However, I did have two taillight bulbs fail the same day on my car. One in the morning, one that night...)

10. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Sorry to hear about your loss.

I can not imagine what a machine with that lack of use and low hours could need $800 for a standard service. What dealer did you take it to?