So here's a funny one

Discussion in 'Stolen Equipment' started by vgshopboss, Nov 7, 2009.

1. vgshopboss

vgshopboss LawnSite Member

Last summer, we had a brand new Redmax backpack blower stolen from one of our trucks on-site. Last month, our chemical guy was out doing an end of year fert application, and sees a Redmax backpack blower in the back of a pickup in the parking lot. (This was at a townhome complex btw). He walks over to look at it, and lo and behold, it has our unit number and serial number engraved in the outer shroud. (Because for some reason, Redmax only uses a decal that peels off in about a week, so I engrave everything. Springtime, when we stock up on new hand held equipment, the shop sounds like a tattoo parlor with the engraver going)
    So our chem guy calls me, gives me the S/N, and sure enough, same blower that got ripped off last year. So we call the local cops, they come and collect it, get the plate number and take the blower back to the station. We finally got the blower back, don't know if anyone got arrested or not. I guess you should either a) scrape the serial numbers off of your stolen equipment, or b) don't leave it laying out in your truck bed...it might get stolen.

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Not necessarily...

It is also quite possible, unfortunate but possible...
    That the guy to whom the truck and blower belonged actually paid good money for it, bought it off the thief?
    Which isn't saying that I'm accusing any thieves of being smart now.

Also, being in mere possession of a stolen piece of equipment is a felony in some states.
    Yes, even if one purchased it from someone else without word to the wise.

Glad you found it thou

3. georgiagrass

georgiagrass LawnSite Senior Member

With all respect, it is not a felony to possess stolen equipment that was bought in good faith, without knowledge that it was stolen equipment.

4. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

well at least you got it back

5. froglawn

froglawn LawnSite Member

CONGRATS...sounds like there are those who are not so fortunate!

6. DuallyVette

DuallyVette LawnSite Silver Member

I think I'm going to tear up....Happy endings sometimes make me cry. :)

7. Green Grass

Green Grass LawnSite Member
    from MN

I was wondering why that blower was no longer in the back of my truck

8. ALLPro Landscaping

ALLPro Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

My question is was your why did your chem guy go through some one else s property, dont get me wrong im happy to see you recover your property.

9. ALLPro Landscaping

ALLPro Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Oh and by the way this post is over a year old

10. JFGauvreau

JFGauvreau LawnSite Bronze Member

Exactly, if you didn't know it was stolen equipment you cannot be charge.

If you truly know you are purchasing stolen equipment then you will be charge. Of course, you need to prove the judge that you did not know it was stolen.

But glad you found your blower!