1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

So here's my plan...(input please)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by IN2MOWN, Dec 8, 2007.

1. IN2MOWN

IN2MOWN LawnSite Platinum Member

I've been in the business for 15 years now and on my own for 7. I think I'm ready to jump to the next level but I need some financial help. I was going to approach my bank and request a small business loan to purchase some new equipment to expand.

Right now I work by myself and I take care of on average about 60 FT yards during the growing season. I do everything but chemical apps and large install jobs. Those are subbed out or other companies are recommended.

I would like to add about 40 more accounts and put 2 guys to work so I can concentrate on advertising and growing.

My current list of equipment stands at

2 trucks (97 and 99 F250s)
    1 48 inch WB
    1 36 inch WB
    2 trailers ( 1 single and 1 dual both 14 footers)
    3 trimmers
    1 aerator
    1 verticutter
    2 spreaders
    2 hedge trimmers
    2 chainsaws
    1 push mower
    1 BP blower

I would like to sell the older truck and one of the trailers but keep everything else.

I would then like to add:

1 52 inch Stander
    1 dual axle trailer 16 foot long
    1 BP blower
    2 hand blowers
    2 trimmers
    1 chainsaw
    1 hedge trimmer
    1 pole trimmer

and some other misc. stuff

As far as advertising I was going to do this:

10,000 door hangers
    500 postcards to businesses
    Have the truck I was going to keep lettered

One other thing I was going to do was get into snow removal but thats something I would deal with at the end of next summer when I can get another truck and a plow. As of now I am running a couple crews for the guy I used to mow for but I really want to start doing it myself.

I was going to go to my bank and ask for $20,000.00 to purchase this list of items. I was going to list everything I intended to buy in detail along with giving them copies of my P&L showing that my income has increased every year since I have been in business.

Any thoughts or questions? What am I missing? Any input is greatly appreciated.
  2. D & J Lawn Care

D & J Lawn Care LawnSite Member

if the bank doesnt help you there is this company called Five Point Capital who lend money on anything business related (trucks to trailer to mowers anything) rates 6.5 to 9% used or new private or dealer
  3. IN2MOWN

Thanks. I assume they have a website so I will check them out.
  4. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd swap out the extra chainsaw on the list, for a website.

Even to the end of listing which company you chose for the site and and estimate for it. $300 is going to get you started decently, and toward a $1000 or more has entered the elaborate end.

How much safety gear? (hard hads, gloves, chaps, file cabinet for material safety data sheets for virtually any product) It may be worthy of that list.

Sounds like you've done well so far too.
  5. IN2MOWN

I am working on building a website right now. I have secured the domain name and recently started to put together some pages.

I have never done it before so its a trial and error process for me but it should be up and ready to go by the new year.

As far as the other stuff...thats what I have included in misc. equipment.
  6. jlouki01

jlouki01 LawnSite Senior Member

My parent's use Five Star for buying Tow Trucks for their business. They lease them and do a 1.00 buyout at the end.
  7. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

One advantage you should have going in with your business plan, is that you have a busy business going in with it.

Wish you the best on that. :waving:
  8. chuck bow

chuck bow LawnSite Senior Member

kinda lost and dont get peod at me asking this you said at one point you been on your own for 7 years and take care of 60 accounts then at another place in the post you said you run 2 crews for the guy you used to mow for ? maybe iam slow today brain wise are are you talking running 2 snow removal crews and you want to start that your self ?
  9. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

you don't want a loan, rather a business line of credit...
  10. IN2MOWN

Since I dont do snow removal personally I help out the guy I used to work for and pretty much run things for him. Then when spring hits Im back on my own.

When I decide to do snow it will be for myself and I will no longer work for him.