So how can you pass out flyers...legaly.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Eric 1, Apr 25, 2004.

1. Eric 1

Eric 1 LawnSite Bronze Member

It seems that all the common methods are illegal. So how do you put out flyer's's without getting in trouble.

Also my current advertising methods are
    Phone book
    Cards all over the place (on tack boards)
    Newspaper adds

Any other ideas.
  2. LynyrdSkynyrd

LynyrdSkynyrd LawnSite Member

How large of a circulation does your daily or weekly paper have?
    If it is like our weekly paper which has around 5000 printed papers for sale a week.

May want to check on the price of an insert. You give them your flyers and the place that prints the paper will insert them into each copy.

Tip on that. Have your Flyers printed on a color other than white. Take yellow, red, green, etc. The color catches the eye and holds it longer than just plain white does.
  3. CT18fireman

CT18fireman LawnSite Senior Member

What methods do you find illegal? Where I am located 90% of homeowners have the mailboxes with the newspaper slots built in. These are NOT owned by the newspaper company and are ok to leave flyers in. They are not where postage mail goes. All sorts of companies use them for flyers.

The other option is going door to door.
  4. bugspit

bugspit LawnSite Senior Member

I believe putting flyers inside mailboxes is illegal. I've put them between the flag and box, or a newspaper holder but there not to common around here. I've also slipped them inside newspaper baggies and tossed them, and I even put them inside the newspapers.
  5. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

That is considered solicitation around here and therefore illegal. The newspaper thing sounds good but you would have to do it regularly....not a one time shot.
  6. LynyrdSkynyrd

LynyrdSkynyrd LawnSite Member

Our local towns weekly paper is small. And they will do the one time shot for anyone. Even the larger papers will do it. For they have been two different LCO that have used inserts in the larger cities papers this spring. I just saw the one insert from each company once.
  7. charlies

charlies LawnSite Senior Member
    from earth

it' very nice that 90% of the mailboxes in your area are like that. obviously his are not or he wouldn't be asking.
  8. chevyman1

chevyman1 LawnSite Senior Member

I saw a local LCO putting flyers in mailboxes 2 weeks ago in Saratoga, and one of my accounts showed me and they called the police
  9. lawnguyland

lawnguyland LawnSite Bronze Member

just put them in the mailbox, anyone who cares if it's "legal" is a doofus. I've been putting flyers in the mailbox for years. F that. I bought my mailbox and put in on my front door. I own it. F the government. It's mine. It's not theirs, I don't care what they think. Never had a complaint. Yeah, I'm real scared of the postmaster. What a joke. Never once heard of anyone in "trouble" for doing it. If someone calls just say "oh sorry I didn't know". What are they gonna do, prosecute? The DA and any judge would laugh. wah wah wah it's illegal. Bullcrapa. You telling me law enforcement has nothing better to do? Crock of Shiznet.
  10. chevyman1

chevyman1 LawnSite Senior Member

Dude, DON"T listen to that guy from Long Island. Under law, a mailbox is owned by the government (the space in it). DO NOT put flyers in there it's considered a FEDERAL CRIME, just like hitting them with a baseball bat. Go to the door, push them in the crack of the door, hand them to people, whatever, but DO NOT put them in the mailbox