So how do you do this?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Willofalltrades, Oct 25, 2006.

1. Willofalltrades

Willofalltrades LawnSite Bronze Member

How do you cut and take care of leaves when the machine you rely on the most can't go on the lawn. We have gotten a lot of rain and some snow the last two weeks. I normally just blow the leaves onto the grass and suck them up as I mow. Well my Walker is definatly to heavy to use on my yards because of the weather. Should I let it go and hopefully it will dry up enough in the next week to take care of them? I have some yards that haven't been touched for 2 weeks now and I'm stressing out about it. Its currently to wet to even use a Walk Behind. Its killing me because these yards look like crap. Any suggestions?

2. turfsolutions

turfsolutions LawnSite Senior Member

Same situation here. RedMax backpack blowers, rakes, tarps, and motrin. Have a nice fall.

3. Willofalltrades

should I let the grass go?

4. mountain man

mountain man LawnSite Member

Let the grass go. If it is too wet then you can't take a mower on the turf. Use the Red Max and tarp out the leaves.

5. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have had the same problem around here, dry and chilly today, better tomorrow, rain friday and then supposed to warm up (50s) for the better part of next week, I say hold off a day or 2 I'm going for it starting tomorrow.

6. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Its way to early to start stressing about leaves. I bet there still plenty on the trees. Hold off till it warms up and drys out some, we have not even had Indian Summer yet.
    Now if you still have not had a chance by Thanksgiving then start to stress

7. Willofalltrades

But some of these properties haven't been touched for 2 weeks and I simply can't take a machine on them. The customers don't want to pay for me to come in and rake.

8. Willofalltrades

Did I mention they look bad?

9. Billz

Billz LawnSite Member

believe me, a simple call to your customers explaining that you will mow as soon as the ground hardens up enough is all you need to do. No one wants a yard with giant muddy black ruts in it and they will understand. Now that might be a good time to upsell them on leaf cleanups, that way if they dont want to pay for it, they just wait.

10. pcarlson1911

pcarlson1911 LawnSite Member

I have blown the leaves onto a hard surface such as the driveway or street once there, I mow over the top and the bagger picks them right up. Takes a bit longer, but I don't destroy as much turf!
    pc