So how I'am I going to compete against people working for free

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Gravel Rat, Jul 10, 2010.

1. jimmyjack

jimmyjack LawnSite Senior Member

you know i wasnt gonna say anything , but this just bugs me .....your bitching about those prices ? dude WTF do you waste your money on??????????

i pay 1000 bucks a month for a two bed room duplex , i pay electric and its electric heat too , cable tv cable interent , diesel for my truck , my cells ,and everything else my girl just pays for the food and my daughters things cause really thats all her check will cover ........but anyway thats with me making 18hr .....so your telling me your gov't job pays least then that ?????

i dont get it , you live at home , make good money , single , and your choices are a tent or your rents basement?????.............come on really !!!!!!!! if its that bad, which i find hard to belive then get off you ma mas titty and move !!! you got nothing holding you there...........

maybe if you explained things about why you have this black cloud over your head , instead of bitching about this guy or my buddy said this or i heard from this guy , maybe everyone wouldnt be mad with your posts , they go no where, its like a black hole these threads , and now that ive been sucked into it im done:hammerhead:

2. AEL

AEL LawnSite Bronze Member

Quick some one throw Jimmy Jack a rope! Pull him out!

3. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

I hear people ***** about this a lot. The house hasnt changed . Just because someone told him his house is worth less money dosnt mean he shouldnt like his house less then when he was told it was worth big bucks. Its still the same damn house. If he dosnt have to sell , then its a non issue. If he has to sell then its worth less , just like the new one he will be buying.

4. DirtMerchant

DirtMerchant LawnSite Senior Member

My comment got removed :(

5. Jimmyed

Jimmyed LawnSite Member
    from IN

perhaps find something better to do than haul dirt around in a pickup?

6. bearmtnmartin

bearmtnmartin LawnSite Senior Member

I started an online petition to have GR shmitcanned a while back, but it was removed. Probably just as well. I take some of his stuff personally being from the same part of the world. But my biggest issue is......I am is NOT a contraction!

7. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

The Liberal gov't has a new thing now that the Native Indian bands get priority on Timber sales so any Timber rights are going to the Native indian bands. You will see companies like Interfor etc having a tough time getting any work. The cost of lumber will go up because there will be a monopoly on logs.

Any new mines or land development also has to be approved by the indian band before you can do anything. It is the Liberal gov't way of settling treaty agreements.

As for the people working for free or low wages it is just the way it goes not much you can do about it. The Liberal gov't will see lots of businesses go under this year because of their stupidity. Where I work I get to talk to poeple in All industries that are in this province from contruction to office workers.

Some of these contractors I talk to and know are no mini excavator and bobcat operations. They own 1-2 million dollars worth of equipment they have 10-20 employees. These guys are hurting from the bad economy and the mistakes the gov't is making. How would you like to own a million dollars worth of equipment and it is barely working because the lack of work. H*ll these guys expenses per month is what some of you make all year. One of the contractors has 4 35 ton road builder excavators sitting because there is no logging. When those machines are working they are making 3500 dollars per machine each day.

One of the blasting contractors his little drill rigs are 250,000 each they are not working much because the contruction work is bad. When there is work those drill rigs are making 400-500 dollars per hour.

The gravel demand for the Washington state has dropped off there used to be 4-5 barges from the the states hauling 15,000 tons worth of gravel the Seattle every week. California used to be taking million ton per year now they may take 30,000 tons in a year.

So you guys with a skid steer or a mini excavator really don't have a clue what being worried about work is your equipment payments are not 10-15 grand a month.

8. punt66

punt66 LawnSite Fanatic

you live in your moms basement!

9. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

I don't even remotely live close to you so you maybe busy in your area but it isn't busy where I'am. The work in septic system installation has dropped of guys are fighting over the work.

I looked at the pictures you posted yes you do nice jobs but you sure have easy conditions to work in. You should see where the guys work that you went to poo school with drain fields and septic systems are not that easy.

10. bearmtnmartin

bearmtnmartin LawnSite Senior Member

So move to where the work is. Its not that hard. I know a few septic guys up there, and they all seem to be working. One guy travels quite a bit. I do that to when I need to. Any you are right, I live in the Fraser Valley and I am the sand mound king. Big pile of sand in a farmers field. But for every two of those, I do one on the side of a mountain somewhere, because hey, a valley is by definition surrounded by mountains. I have actually hand dug a type three in because I couldn't get a machine to the site. But mostly my criteria for accepting a job is will I make money. If the cash is there I will do it. I don't take on tough jobs for bragging rights, but I will put one in with a plastic spoon if it pays.