1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

So how's business?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JimK, Jun 27, 2001.

1. JimK

JimK TURF MAGAZINE Publisher

Jim at TURF Magazine here. The tv "talking heads" told us all spring that the economy was slowing down. Then gas prices were going to shoot up to $5 a gallon. As publisher of the industry's magazine ... I'd like to know from you ... now that high summer is here, how's business? Up? Down? Same?

2. scottb

scottb LawnSite Senior Member

For me its getting better gas prices going down my accounts are picking up mostly due to word of mouth. Around here we are loosing a lot of mfg. jobs mine included but service jobs lawn care included are bountiful.
    Keep up the Good work with the magazine I look foward to it each month.

3. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

Although gas went up close to .40 cents per gallon, our Maintenance Division has been on a continual growth spurt. The employees have not been dissatisfied with the hotter spring temperatures, and have enjoyed the overtime which has accompanied them.

Landscaping has been mainly for enhancements to existing scapes, and design work is at a lull for us. Hardscapes seem to have been the point of interest from most of the Residential requests we have gotten thus far this season.

All in all we continue to flourish, and Im concerned if there will be enough juice left in the guys for the rigors of snow removal- LOL!

I too enjoy the magazine and look forward to seeing the overstuffed mailbox.:D

Hope all is well with you and yours,
    Kris

4. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Business is going great here! I don't think the economy has dropped much at all. Although my community is in the dying industry of apples, I'm still getting retired customers and other people who aren't related to the apple industry. New homes are being built with the aid of Seattle money (as we like to say ;)) and jobs are still availible there in the summer home "market". They will pay for ANYTHING they don't have to do. I'm a little concerned with gas prices, though. We have our own pump for our tractors so I use that, but we have to refill it sometime and that can be quite expensive. Market saturation is an issue everywhere. Everyone and their brother has a business but in some aspects that helps us. Sometimes it's nice to know that there are good LCO's out there, but there are a few in my town that have a bad reputation and that's what's getting me more jobs. I enjoy reading Turf magazine and look forward to reading it every month. Keep up the good work!

5. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Business is going well. Gas prices have been falling and customer spending hasn't changed. If anything, the customer spending seems to be up a little this year. I have more people wanting to schedule things for this fall. Looks like fescue seeding and landscape renovations will be better this fall.

6. script

script LawnSite Member

Gas is down to about $1.36 gallon and customer base has increased slightly over the past few months. Haven't lost any customers nor have I had any complaints about rate increases, so I guess everything is pretty good here.

Bobby

7. Toroguy

Toroguy LawnSite Bronze Member

Things are busy here Jim. The weather has created a grass growing bonanza. The rain has turned into heat, and now it is beginning to "brown".

As far as economic influences, no effect on me. Sales are 15% ahead of my 15% growth target. I am paying higher prices for some misc. equipment, otherwise things appear the same as last summer for expenses.

8. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

We are getting dry here too. The lawns that are not watered are starting to brown up. :(

We have had plenty of work, but with no rain things will slow down. The gas got up to $2.09, but has dropped to $1.45 here, so that is great news. :)

Keep up the good work at Turf Jim. ;)

9. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

For me, the hotter it gets the more work I get. It never fails. People seem to come out of the woodwork this time of year, and want you to mow their lawn, for one reason or another. Fine with me! So, yes, for me business is good. Hope everyone else is also doing well.

10. jnjnlc

jnjnlc LawnSite Member

I was getting a little concerned a couple of months ago. With the gas prices rising, the temp rising and the no rain in site I was sure that things would slow down. But we have done really well. I have picked up several new contract customers in the past couple of months and am in the middle of a large landscaping project. I guess I was worried for nothing. I hope the good fortune continues. I know we are stuck with the temp but some rain and lower gas prices would be nice.

Enjoy the mag, Jim. I look forward to it each month.

Thanks.