So i ask myself, What would Bobbygedd do?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by newbomb, Jan 15, 2005.

1. newbomb

newbomb LawnSite Senior Member

I got a call from a lady to give her an estimate for lawn care this summer. She says she is "getting bids" Like it's the White House. Anyway, she was refered to me by the kid (19) who used to do it. I worked with him this winter. He gave it up cause daddy got him into the phone company. He told me approx. what he had charged her, so I go and look. Well kept place, mostly flat and about .25 acres but, tight gate. Why would anyone want a gate barely 36"? I will either hand push it (NOT!!!) or dig the 32" exmark out of the basement. So as I stand there Im thinking, what would the Lawnsite bretheren do? So I figured what it would cost to blast through with the 36" wb with no gate and added
    40% to cover the PITA factor. I came home and wrote up the nicest bid letter you ever did see with all the "whereas" and "heretofors", just like Perry Mason. If I didn't know better I'd swear I was a real pro at this.

The point is I finally decided my work has value just like everyone else's and I will either get the price to cover it or let the bargain hunters walk.

Thanks to Bobby and all the others that are helping me to change my perception of what this business should be. -Paul

2. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

way to go, get what it's worth, never mind what the 'other guy" charged.

3. qps

qps LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

Theres two types of people in the mowing business, the ones getting in, and the ones getting out.

4. bobbygedd

from NJ

ahhh, and don't forget to add....the ones that have been in quite awhile, but STILL don't realize they arent making money. is this possible? yup, i see it with my own eyes

5. qps

qps LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

How right you are. :)

6. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

SO PAUL--don't leave us in the dark. what was your proposal?

GEO payup

7. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Bob I think your descibing me! I been at it so long I done ran out of money again. So what to do ? Home Depot or Wal-Mart Greeter

8. bobbygedd

from NJ

you mac? run out of money? ha ha ha ha, yea, when the ocean runs out of water. the perfect example of a guy who is NOT MAKING MONEY, but somehow thinks he is: a guy i know, 22 yrs in the business, his prices are moderate, certainly not low, and not real high. he "wings it", has no idea what it costs him to operate. you know the kind of guy that says, "well, the equipment is paid for, so it's not an expense." we did our last leaf cleanups here less than 45 days ago....and he's broke! this means...he's been living on cash flow, no real profit. when the flow stopped, he's flat broke!

9. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

i have a dollar?

10. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Bobby would have pegged her with a "too narrow of a gate" surcharge...yup, you did the right thing IMO.