So I get a new customer today.....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JeffNY, May 27, 2008.

1. JeffNY

JeffNY LawnSite Senior Member

"It hasn't been done yet this year"

If we didn't know the people, I would have walked away, but it'll be a nice account for us.
    I walked through the yard today, looks like it'll take a good hour at normal level, but this is knee high, and its not even grass, its weeds. I don't even know if the Cub can get through it, we'll find out.
    What other options are there? no way we're weed-eating the entire yard. I was thinking charge about double for the first mow, seeing how we'll probably have to go over it twice for it to start to look like a lawn.

Throw some suggestive #'s at me, so I have an idea what im doing. So far im doing good this year at not charging enough.

[​IMG]

2. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

i'd rent a bushhog and charge them 50 bucks per hour plus rental fees. then put them on a normal cutting schedule.

3. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

Bout $200 for the first cut. $75/every week

4. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

yup Charge about 1.5 over what you would charge to cut it....

kind of hard to tell frome this pic. But are you sure it would take about 1 hr.

remember to "try " to keep your price around 1.00 a minute.

Good luck

5. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

id go hourly for the 1st cut youll be all day the first time

6. JeffNY

ok, maybe more than an hour. I was thinking $85 weekly, and $125 for the first run. I wasn't too far off.

Thanks for the replies.

7. 4 seasons lawn&land

4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY

you want AT LEAST 75/hr for that!

8. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Your description has no dimensions, and your description has no area or dimensions either. Without any information, how can anybody supply times or prices?

4 seasons, ... at lot of people want a lot of things!

9. JeffNY

Figured you could get a rough idea by the conversion van in the driveway, its roughly 75y x 50y

10. A-Land

A-Land LawnSite Senior Member

Here is what you do. Tell them that this kind of work can vary in how long it takes.... sometimes it takes longer, sometimes it takes less time. Charge them an hourly rate for the first mow (let them know what it is and give them a range of how long you think it will take (say $120/hr, 2-3 hours). Then you get paid, no surprises for them, and it doesn't become a PITA.

You should be able to figure out your price for a weekly mow..........