1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

So I just got my certification...

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by PGA, Oct 17, 2005.

1. PGA

PGA LawnSite Senior Member

now comes the hard part!

I got set up with a program with Lesco. All my customers are cool season grasses. Heres the program they gave me.

1) Dimension 0.1% 19-0-6 30%PPSCU
    2) Dimension 0.1% 19-0-6 30%PPSCU
    3) Merit 0.2% 14-0-14 30% PPSCU + Grub Control if needed
    4) 32-3-8 for fall
    5) 46-0-0 for winter

In no way and Im saying this is right but this is what they gave me.

For monetary reasons I will be sticking with all granular for the first season or so.

Here are some questions I have.

1) Does anyone spot spray for weeds even though putting down a pre or post emergent?

2) When applying granular do any of you wear protective clothing at all?

3) If I followed the correct calibration on my spreader and I happened to overlap a little would I do any damage to the lawn?

4) I know some companies around here that charge $10.00 per 1000 SQ FT and I know some that charge $5.00. I dont want to overcharge and I dont want to lose money. What do most of you charge per 1000?

5) Where can I go to find out what sort of invoice I should leave?

Thats it for now.

I know most of you will tell me to use the search feature but Im very busy and I dont have time to sit in front of my computer for days. Lets just say Im cramming and trying to take in a bunch at once.
  2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Geez oh Pete...what a poor excuse for a program. You say your guys at Lesco gave you that? There is so much wrong with that program, I don't even know where to begin. There are several people on here who will be able to blow holes in it for many obvious reasons, too. Where in the heck did your Lesco guy get his field experience from...tru-brown?

....Even as I look at this program again, I shake my head. Also, something that pops in my mind...You say you just got your cert., but yet you are asking about finding out what sort of invoice you are to leave. Wasn't that (SOS) covered in the tests? You DO realize that your certification is NOT a license, and that you have to go through the licensing steps and criteria before applying, right?
  3. ArizPestWeed

ArizPestWeed LawnSite Bronze Member

There's a company here that charges $50 per 1,000 sq ft for premergent
  4. Microbe

Microbe LawnSite Member

Sending you out with a backpack full of pre emergent is like IRAN building nukes... DISASTER.... Honestly... I"m in the process right now of finishing my 40 hours and I"m taking my test to become a "Technician." I have fully covered EVERYTHING from lables, to saftey, to forms of reciepts, and how to keep track of every application and how much I used. Dam dude... You have a lot to learn!! You should just practice on like 3 lawns or something with all chemicals for like 2 years before you start applying all these chemicals... your not gona have a lawn! But then again... we all live and we learn... A couple more spills, a couple more ounces of pre emergent in the ground water do to carelessness....

Also... $10 for 1000 square feet?!?!?!?!!?! Man your gona go outta business faster than you took your class. There would be no way in hell that I would apply pre emergent for anything less than $50 per thousand. Some customers I'll charge more.. Its not a walk in the park to just spray and leave.. You have to cover the area's with enough herbicide, it takes at least 15 min or so per 1000, but that 15 mins can result in excessive exposure remember you are putting yourself at risk.

Also.... How could somebody "ANYBODY," offer you a program when your asking the most basic questions that a "homeowner askes?" "IF I OVERLAP A LITTLE BIT WILL IT BURN?" BE CAREFUL DUDE!
  5. PGA

I dont mean to sound like a jerk but none of my ?s got answered.

Im looking for info because Im trying to learn so I can do my best.
  6. GrazerZ

GrazerZ LawnSite Senior Member

I'm not sure what turf you are dealing with here. But for me, I can't ever see a time when you would need 5 fert rounds. Why not 4 rounds with the lbs per 1000 you need but with higher rates of slow release. Combination products like 19-0-6 w/ dim are good for a first and poss a second round if needed in your area. Then ther is the old debate about very high nitrogen in the winter. I personally wouldn't put down that much N for a winter application, where is your
    potash? here is what I would recommend for you:
    1. 19-0-6 w/ dim
    2. 19-0-6 w/ dim (if needed )
    3. Broadleaf weed control
    4. 32-0-10 75% slow release 3% FE ( 3and 4 done together)
    5. 18-0-18 50% slow release 4% FE
    6. Lime if needed, time for aeration , overseed.

My variables for this program can be endless, but for customers who want only 3 ferts, I would take out one of the 19-0-6 s. You can add in insect control to this also, granular or liquid. We only use it if I know it will be needed. Again, this is just something to help, not necessarily a solution for you.
    As for your questions. 1. yes always, Dimension does little for broad weeds.
    2. yes, if its an insecticide. 3.some overlap is often necessary, read you spreder manual. 4. Thats up to you, use the search funtion, alot on this subject. 5.No answer for you here, I make up my own.
    Hope this helps. Not impressed with the advice you recieved though. Ask him if he sells insurance on the side too.
  7. PGA

Thanks for your help. I did fail to mention that he said I could substitute the winter with a 35-3-5 depending on the conditions.

I assume its 5 rds of fert because they are all quick release and done every 2 months. At least thats what the chart says.
  8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

If you are doing quick releases and doing them every 2 months, all youi're doing is giving the turf a rollercoaster ride. You will get a quick dark color, a FLUSH of growth, then it will recede back and turn light in color. This is not to mention that you will stressing the turfplant out like you don't EVEN know...
    I can't count too many times when I have read about someone getting such poor advice. Again, where did this Lesco guy come up with this crap? trugreen?
  9. GreenUtah

GreenUtah LawnSite Senior Member
    from SLC, UT

I would eliminate that Urea round and choose something more balanced, slow released and appropriate to the turf type and soil conditions in your area. The round 3 app of insecticide should only be where insects are causing damage, otherwise you are adding to the problem of creating resistant pests. That being said, let's say that your growing season is 30 weeks. You apply your first round at the beginning, the next at week six, week 12 for round three, week 18 for round four and week 24 for round 5. This leaves open a winterizer or soil amending treatment near week 30.
    Why? Why not throw down a super slow release and be back every 4 months? Because you don't sell fertilizer, you sell expertise and service. That means you need to be ON the lawn on a regular basis so that you can identify problems and take steps to correct them, whether it be nutrient, insect, disease, soil, water, mowing, etc. etc. related, BEFORE they demolish the entire lawn and you lose the customer that only cares what the finished product looks like.
    So, how does a responsible program fit into that description? It begins with knowing the requirements for your turfs, taking into account the service intervals and the customers desire to see measureable results each time you come to the property. The rates you apply have just as much to do with the results as the product you select, usually not a match to bag recommendations made somewhere far from your area. The key is learning what you need locally to get top turf and no one here, that doesn't know the local conditions for your area (turf type, soil,water, temps, etc. etc.), can make those recomendations for you. Period. There will be more sources of information for you locally than the local LESCO store, I would suggest you continue to do your homework and realize that you'll never stop learning and tweaking your program. This is how a business that expects to survive will have to operate.
  10. PGA

Thanks for the great reply.

The reason Im asking questions is because IMO knowledge is great but experience is even better. I can only read so many books before I need to ask questions of people that have been here before.