1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

So I Killed Myself For Nothing

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by adam.neusbaum, Feb 21, 2013.

1. adam.neusbaum

adam.neusbaum LawnSite Senior Member

After nearly 3 years of squeezing self-employment into and around a full-time position elsewhere I've recently found that my wife's been racking up the credit cards. Not something I want to continue supporting especially when she's not remotely interested in contributing to our household income. If we didn't have a 2 year old child together I'd ship her out. Not going to be an easy road ahead. I've contacted a couple of the company's to suggest they freeze the card since it's "lost" at this time. Sorta tough when you don't have all the necessary account details available. On the flip-side I'm thinking of just letting her tank her own credit & only focus on managing the family bills like the electric bill etc. Just burns me up to see $45 lunches & Toys R Us junk at 25% interest while I'm busting my butt & grabbing Wendy's for $3. It doesn't help that her friends are lazy home-breakers.
    Last week was a critical turning point where I asked her to run a delivery which was less than 12 miles away & she got all bent out of shape suggesting that it would be the last one 'cause it's such an inconvenience. I in turn screamed in her face that she doesn't seem to have a problem with driving over 100 miles one-way when shopping's involved. Really pissed me off!
  2. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

Man thats a hard hit. Sorry to hear it.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  3. adam.neusbaum

adam.neusbaum LawnSite Senior Member

Just thought this would be a good word of warning to any newlywed entrepreneur types that are on a hands-off approach when it comes to managing the household finances. Why are so many people so lazy today? Take a look into history books & everyone seemed to have been busy working. Now loafers are everywhere.
  4. SRT8

SRT8 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CA

Sorry to hear that. I bet that sucks, working hard everyday to pay off unnecessary debt. Im a newlywed and have a 15month year old little boy. My wife feels bad when she has to ask me for $20. She understands how hard i work and she says its not her money. Of course i give her money, her full-time job is raising our son which at times can be tough. When a spouse doesnt understand the finances of a business they think every check that comes in is pure profit and dot realize that theres overhead and operating costs.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  5. ztman

ztman LawnSite Bronze Member

Tough when a small child is involved. Most will say dont stay together just because a child is involved because they observe the dysfunctional relationship. Better for a child to grow up with divorced parents then to see them at each other throats all the time. Sounds like you just want a little help from the woman you support $$$. Have you ever told her that?
  6. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

that stinks. You better run a credit report on yourself to see if she signed you up for some cc.
  7. zechstoker

zechstoker LawnSite Senior Member

Lazy people have existed since the beginning of time. Since they weren't contributing to the evolution of mankind, they weren't spoken of much in history books. However, more people have become lazy as a result of excessive convenience these days.

Sorry to hear about the headache you're enduring on the home front. No doubt that kinda thing will stress a guy out. Just remember the quote "a happy wife = a happy life". At least you're not in the midst of a divorce, and she's taking you to the cleaners. Nothing good can come from a situation like that.
  8. GMLC

GMLC LawnSite Platinum Member

Sorry brotha....I have some friends that went through the same exact thing. Worked years and thought they were in good financial shape. Come to find out their stay at home wives racked up some major credit card bills in the tune of 35k!!!

If the cards are in her ssn only let her credit get ruined. I agree with grandview, run your own credit report to make sure your not involved with her shiz!!
    Posted via Mobile Device
  9. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

Another thing.Just in case put a lock on your credit reports.This way if anyone trys to open something you will be notified
  10. PetesLandscape&Supply

PetesLandscape&Supply LawnSite Member

man ..my heart goes out to you.....I can't imagine things are going to get better down the road unless you get her to go to some kind of consoling ..wish you the best !