1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

so i landed my first job

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by executive property maintenance, Apr 11, 2008.

1. executive property maintenance

executive property maintenance LawnSite Member

12 yards of mulch edgeing and mowing for the season im pumped:weightlifter: but my question is is it unreasonable to collect a deposit for materials now and the remainder of the bill upon completion of the job
  2. cspaugh

cspaugh LawnSite Member

:drinkup:not at all unreasonable, I would recomend it
  3. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

Personally, I don't ask for a deposit. If I buy materials, and they cancel, I can use it on another account. New customers are a little, just a little risky, but I've always gotten paid.

I walked away from a new account today... the place hasn't had a dollar put into it in ten years. I can smell a non-payer a mile away.
  4. A to Z lawn care

A to Z lawn care LawnSite Member

haha just do what i do if i rake someones leaves, shovel there snow and they skip me i just put it all back and spread it all out o! and sometimes i bring some from other jobs too!! haha oh and if theyt skip me when im doing grass i take all the grass and put it on their porch and ""accidently "" weedwack the whole lawn until its practicly dirt! hahaha! :laugh::laugh::laugh:
  5. rcracer

rcracer LawnSite Member

congrats on your first customer! :usflag:
  6. executive property maintenance

executive property maintenance LawnSite Member

well if i have 12 yard s of mulch delivered i cant take it back:cry:
  7. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

True dat, if your volume isn't high... in which case, a deposit would be wise to ask for... at least cost of materials.
  8. Jb3NH

Jb3NH LawnSite Member

Hey there young man congradulations.

First, just keep that relationship with your customer open. It would be financially risky.. Why not just collect the money for the mulch right up front. Its give 'n take. On my first job, and this maybe unprofessional, but.. i'm couldn't afford to hit on 12 yards.. i just had the customer pay the driver and called it good.
  9. fool32696

fool32696 LawnSite Senior Member

I require 50% down to schedule landscape work.
  10. FTGUprprtyMaint

FTGUprprtyMaint LawnSite Member

i just put a patio in for a lately and asked for half up front, shes didn't hesitate at all and handed me cash