1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

So I need to know if I can do this

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ALarsh, Nov 13, 2006.

1. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

I have two accounts totaling $1690 past due. One has $420 past due, the other $1,270. Now winter is coming and I need to collect on these accounts. My question is, can I legally push a large pile of snow in front of their garage door / on the driveway to block them in until they pay? I would like to stay out of court and I think this might work or at least threaten them with this to get them to pay.

I know you will tell me to go to plowsite, but the work was for lawn mowing and leave clean up / mulch so I thought i'd put it here.

Thanks :gunsfirin :gunsfirin :gunsfirin :gunsfirin :gunsfirin :gunsfirin :gunsfirin
  2. scagwildcat

scagwildcat LawnSite Senior Member
    from nw. ct.

im dealing with the same thing as we speak, ive been to court three times and i still havent seen my money, i had the marshal do a financial execution, and they closed their accounts, ive thought of doing this very same thing but you cant! ive also thought of spray painting their name in the rd infront of their house with a arrow saying that they do not pay their bills, but once again, you cant... ive now found that small claims, does not work, in the end its still up to the client in default to pay you or not pay you the money they owe you.ive have found several laws pertaining to the contractor taking advantage of the client but very few pertaining to the consumer stealing services from a contractor, sometimes i think that the hardest thing as a lco is getting paid!! my lawyer told me that my contracts are very sound, but in order to cover all basis the contract would actually detour people from signing on with me, also there are loopholes in every contract.
    contracts, really dont mean much, you may think they do, but once you go to court, the contract is worthless because its all in what the judge says for a verdict!! ive been to court without one and won, but i now only prefer to do work with them.
    just for the safety factor....
  3. ALarsh

from Midwest

It pisses me off to no end. I guess I could dump a bunch of leaves on the front lawn of her $1.2 million house and repo my $502 worth of mulch that I paid for on ******* time.

What we have to do to make a buck! :hammerhead: :cry:
  4. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm going to go ahead and say that is a bad idea..you can be sure you will never get paid then. I can say my experience with small claims was a good one, I pursued it and got my money (after 2 years). There have been smaller amounts that I have written off over the years.
    Stick with the small claims idea, all you need is for them to claim they fell down, or couldn't get out in an emergency, and you have much more expensive problems. Believe me, there are a couple of people I would love to do that to. I know a guy who did plow someones driveway in, and to add insult to injury, whacked their mailbox on the way out. Makes for a hilarious story, but I wouldn't do it.
  5. ALarsh

from Midwest

Not a bad idea.

Did he get paid?
  6. DoetschOutdoor

DoetschOutdoor LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S. IL

Have you talked to them face to face with a bill in hand?? That always seems to work for me bc most people will pay when you are standing in there front door.
  7. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

I can understand your anger, no doubt. That's a decent sum to be out. But I don't think that is the way to go about it. How hard have you tried to collect this money? Have you ever just stopped at their door, knocked, and demanded to be paid? What measures have you done so far up until now?

So no, I say don't push the snow. It will end up backfiring on you.
  8. ALarsh

from Midwest

Its has been invoices with a phone call. I will go to their door on the 16th if I haven't received payment yet.
  9. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

Do you think 4-500 of us sending them a polite request for you might help?
    If so, post their address and we'll get to work. Nuthin' fancy, just "pay your bills or we're coming for your lawn"!
  10. Matts lawn care

Matts lawn care LawnSite Senior Member
    from MD

this may not sound like much to you guys but one of one customers owed me $200.00. it was for 5 lawn mowing's at 40 ea. when i went to collect it he said no way its never been five times! one week i came home and i said what happened to Matt? so i list the dates of service and he said fine i will pay you ur 200 but dont come back next year. almost every week when i leave a bill on his door i see an electrical turn off notice on his door. i think he just cant afford for his lawn to be mowed. i got my 200 and thats all that matters. if you cant end up getting your money i say next time it snows take the snow on his street and box him in. i like the mailbox thing too. i wouldn't repo your mulch that would be too time consuming.