So I woke up this morning.......

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by hect911, Apr 4, 2006.

1. hect911

hect911 LawnSite Member

I woke up this morning, got ready for work and as I walked out of my front door I noticed my sprinkler system was ON.

So I said to myself,
    Self, you did an outstanding job with the design and the installation of your first sprinkler system.

But then as I was admiring my work of art:rolleyes:

I remembered that the system was programed to work from 6:00am to 6:10am and it was already 7:00am:dizzy: and that there was a lot of water running down the curve.:cry:

(By the way the time element has nothing to do with the Daylight Savings)

So I tried to turn the sprinkler system off at the controller but nothing was happening. My second zone would turn on and off at the controller but the first zone would stay on. I then went to the automatic valve and tried to turn it off ther but it did not shut down. So I disconnected the controller from the outlet and the first zone shut down. I then connected the controller and the first zone turned on, I disconnected the controller and the zone turned off.

I am thinking of changing the solenoid to the valve and see if that will solve the problem.

By the way I am a Texas Licensed Irrigator LI 14423 but am new to this Irrigation business I do this Part time and still learning!

Any help is appreciated in helping me solve this problem!:waving:

2. hect911

hect911 LawnSite Member

by the way the valves are 1" rainbird Jar Top Valves

3. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

If your able to kill the zone by unplugging the timer, it is not the solinoid.

Its a issue with the timer. Sounds like a short between the 24v terminals and your zone 1 wire.

What timer?

Also, your running between 6:00 and 6:10?

4. hect911

hect911 LawnSite Member

the timer is a Rainbird ESP Modular

Running time for the zone is from 6am to 6:10am 10 minutes in the morning and another 10 before the sun goes down.

5. hect911

hect911 LawnSite Member

By the way, we had a lot of lightning and thunderstorms the previous night.

6. bumper

bumper LawnSite Member
    from So. Cal

Sounds like the solenoid is working like its suppose to..I would look a little deeper into the controller, but as they say..start with the easiest and cheapest part first ;)

7. Dirty Water

With the dial on OFF the zone stays on?

Try replacing the module in the ESP.

8. hect911

hect911 LawnSite Member

Yes, The zone stays on when the controller is set to the off position.

The controller came with an extra module. I will replace it within the next few minutes.

9. hect911

hect911 LawnSite Member

I went to change the module and I found out that there was a lot of water inside the controller and everything was wet. The box is mounted under a carport and its supposed to be an outdoor controlller inside a box.

10. Dirty Water

Well, its probably shorting between the 24v terminals and the zone 1 terminal.

Is it getting blasted by a head?

We haven't had any trouble with outdoor ESP-M's.