1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

So if I change to synthetic oil?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dualsmows, Jun 17, 2011.

1. dualsmows

dualsmows LawnSite Member

Can I change my oil changing from 50 hours to 100 hours?
  2. mnglocker

mnglocker LawnSite Senior Member

I still change mine at 50. Mowers get a ton of dust and dirt contamination and filters plug up. Besides, what are we talking here, $5-8 more per change, that's not that much considering the wear and tear saved on the engine.
  3. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

As stated above synthetic will not give you extended changes on small engines. The advantage of synthetic is less oil breakdown in the high heat environment of a small engine. It still gets dirty and heat and dirt are the eventual killers of small engines over time. Amsoil has a bypass filter system that is suppose to extend intervals but I am unsure if they are made for small engines. You can research that if you want on their website.
    I use synthetic in everything but still keep my tight change intervals for the small engines. My 2000 Walker 26EFI just hit 2000 hours, it doesn't use a drop of oil.

NORTHMAN LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

I called Kawasaki about this and they said you still have to change the oil at 50 hours with synthetic.
  5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

That is correct, superior lubrication does not extend your engine's oil change intervals,
    anyone who claims otherwise should back this up with a FULL warranty on your engine.

Synthetic doesn't have to be changed every 3 months if you haven't put the hours on it,
    synthetic can sit in an engine apparently for years without breaking down like conventional oil,
    it is certainly a great oil to have for those engines that sit around doing nothing most of the time.
  6. ommegang

ommegang LawnSite Member

That's good to hear. I changed to synthetic after initial break-in. 2008 25HP Kawi with only 55 hrs. Manual says not to change again until 100hrs. Oil still looks good.
  7. UfoPilot

UfoPilot LawnSite Member

My corvette came from the factory with synthetic oil in it. If it's good enough for a $60,000 corvette it should be good enough for a mower.
  8. A-1 LAWN

A-1 LAWN LawnSite Member
    from kansas

what grade synthetic are you guys running? 5w30 10 w30??
  9. ommegang

ommegang LawnSite Member

Somebody said Amsoil make synthetic for small engines. I will try to finf that I think. What weight do motorcycles use?
  10. Skidpad

Skidpad LawnSite Member

Here's the link for the Amsoil Small Engine Oil:
    Posted via Mobile Device