So is this Mr. Dell a scrub?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by topsites, Jul 21, 2005.

1. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

David Dell started out selling computers out of the trunk of his car.
    Would you have laughed? (it is actually kinda funny)

(i think i got the 1st name right, anyway, you know the dell corporation).

Things like these make me think twice anymore, the guy I laugh at today could be the next large outfit owner.

2. Scotts' Yard Care

Scotts' Yard Care LawnSite Senior Member

The only difference I see between scrubs and professionals is the quality of work and the reliability of service. With the economy as it is the only way to make it is to do more with less and to squeeze a buck so hard it screams while retaining the quality :D

3. Tim Louis

Tim Louis LawnSite Member

very good posts

4. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

If Mr.Dell was selling computers out of his car, then yes he was a scrub. Is he a scrub now? No.

5. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Taxes, insurance, appearance, etiquette, knowledge. Big difference and if you don't see it or know it you must be one

6. Scapegoat

Scapegoat LawnSite Member

7. Scapegoat

Scapegoat LawnSite Member

------this was a duplicate post......I was forced to make it due my union.......:lol

8. Scotts' Yard Care

Scotts' Yard Care LawnSite Senior Member

so then we must be :D We've kept our customers happy and their lawns looking good for better than twenty years so we're fair to middlin' scrubs.

9. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

No don't flatter yourself if you don't have insurence and pay taxes your just a lowly scrub nothing more than someone out for beer money for the last 20 yrs :waving:

10. Mr. Magpie

Mr. Magpie LawnSite Senior Member

So then, what is the substance/value in labelling or defining "scrub"?

I think if people want to try and get away with some costs in their business while living risky and seemingly immoral/unethical, that is their prerogative. I could not hope to fill a position in which I could stand and make a value statement about them. The only difference is how they are perceived by others, and how others perceive those risks and moral codes.

Of course, another difference could be residing behind bars or living as a citizen..... still, who are you to point the finger and talk down to a human being (who is complex) based on one or two facts??? Just proclaim that they happen to be running their business in an irresponsible way, that they will probably pay for it, and maybe that you hope they get caught for the sake of justice. Leave it at that.

Basically, what I am saying is calling someone a scrub means nothing. It is a vague set of observations sewn together by assumptions and knee-jerk, unearned value judgments.