So mad I could spit nails!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by sheppard, May 23, 2003.

1. sheppard

sheppard LawnSite Senior Member

Pulled up to my first account today and saw the place was a;ready done. Hmmm... Got out of my truck and walked in the business. The manager, who is distantly related to me says "Come in the office".

Sheppard I contracted with another company that does irrigation as well as tree pruning...they also have a 5 man crew...you're just one man."

Boiling mad but keeping it under control I say "When were you going to tell me?"

"Sometime today" implying when I got around to it.

Popping beads of sweat now I say "If I had known you were not satisfied I would have made whatever changes were necessary!"

"I was not disatisfied...didn't you hear me? They are a bigger company...besides, the last two weeks the grass had been a bit tall."

"Well I've fullfilled my written contract with you...weekly cuts don't start till June."

"We never had a contract. Remember? I never signed it."

Now I got this sick feeling in my stomach. "So this is how you run your business?" With that I walked out and told him I'd be in touch.

Mistake one: not getting the signed contract back (I did bug him about it over the months)

Mistake two: not asking if he needed any additional services. I could have always subbed out the work.

I have no problem with customers who fire me for not performing to their expectations- I'm not perfect. The big problem is when customers just drop me because of reasons like this bozo had!

Thoughts?

Suggestions?

Revenge ideas?

Cordially,
    Sheppard

2. edrenckh

edrenckh LawnSite Member

Chalk it up to learning experience.

I bet the five man crew costs more than you too. Go get the extras from your other accounts.

3. cos

cos LawnSite Addict

Ensure to send a bill for showing up this time (service charge)!!!! You did take the time to stop and didn't take the time to call you. With ralatives like that...... :(

4. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

revenge? you have come to the right man my boy. lets start with this: what type of business does he own?

5. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

Problem #1

A man's word means ZERO anymore, get a contract.

Now I got this sick feeling in MY stomach. "So this is how you run YOUR business?"

I've said this here before and got quite a bit of flack for it but I'm going to say it again. THIS IS A BAD IDEA. It reeks of being illegal, immoral, just plain not nice and gives all of us a bad name. The moderators and site owner SHOULD be all over language like this.

This is a public forum guy's, homeowners come here and read, what do you think they think of us when they read comments like that.

This is not a place to come vent absolutely everything on your mind off into space.

PLEASE, be more careful of what you say.

6. Turf Technologies

Turf Technologies LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

A few round up ballons might get you the lawn back.

7. bobbygedd

from NJ

illegal? it depends on what you are going to do as "revenge". immoral? u just said a mans word means nothing, im assuming this means no one has morals. gives us all a bad name? dude, u r 50 years too late for that, we are classified as one step up from dirt as it is.

8. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

So suggesting roundup baloons is a step in the right direction......
    :rolleyes:

How old did you say you were?

9. bobbygedd

from NJ

scott, i never mentioned round up ballons. i think that would fall under the category of applying pesticides not consistant with label instructions. i like my license.

10. crazygator

crazygator LawnSite Bronze Member

Just go on and dont look back.

Its hard to replace customers, at least thats what they want us to feel. I bet you will have something else lined up in no time at all, that's sooooo much better that the other one.

Revenge? Absolutely not! Is that how YOU want to run YOUR business? Now your acting like this other guy.

I'd think about it long and hard before doing something stupid.

And what if your caught? Then what?