So Mad!!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tiedeman, Aug 18, 2004.

1. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I am so mad that my eye is twitching!!!!:angry:

Long story so strap down and listen to the DETAILS:

Ok, I have been doing work for this customer for the past 3 years. I picked him up as a customer because he was not happy with the previous LCO, NOT doing work and NOT making the place look nice. This is a customer that we do mowing and landscaping maintenance for.

So, about 3 weeks ago we put in a lot of work around his place and his bill was about $730.00. That included trimming shrubs, weeding, cleaning out beds, 2 mowings, cutting down brush and trees along his fence line, and then removing sod at the bottom of his fence and installing mulch around (some you might have saw some of the pictures I posted of it).

This whole year I have been doing everything to make his property look nice. Because as it is written on the contract in his exact words, "Whatever you did last year if necesary. Your judgement better than mine!!" So I have been doing everything as the same as last year. Yes I do admit that my per hourly rate has increase and my mowing rate has increased as well.

So when I sent out the bill I knew right away that I would be getting a phone call from him in regards to the price. Mostly because the sod along the fence with mulch, I did that without him authorizing it. The reason that I did it was because I was sick of the tall grass growing up between the fence and me not being able to maintain it properly. So only that cost on the bill was approx $250.00. Everything else he asked me to do it.

So my worker goes over there today to do some work and he tells my worker to have me get ahold of him. So I stop over there and talk to him. He is so mad at the price of the bill, and he can't afford this bill, "Heck, I just paid about $450 last month in bills." (in which they were actually two bills which were past due, that is why it was so much). "Last year alone I only paid about $1,800 for services and already I am over $2,000."

So I apologized for the bill and told him that I would knock off $250 from the bill for the work that he didn't authorize. He still isn't happy with the price. He complains more about how he never told me to do the other stuff, when in fact he did. I caught him in lie after lie and it was making him mad that I was catching him. He even said, " I wrote right on the contract to keep it the same price." Which I snapped back and said, "No you didn't, if you want me to I can go home and get a copy of it and show you exactly what you wrote."

So both him and I are getting more and more mad at each other. He starts saying about how he can't afford this. (Ya right, I have seen your property and what you buy, I know you can afford this.)

"So what do you think that the price should be then," I said.

"Well, I don't know what it should be I am not in the business," he said.

"What were you charged before then for the services," I said. ( I am trying to get him into a trap )

"I never had them performed so I can't say," he said. Exactly, that is why you hired me on.

Then I hit a nerve with him. "Heck, the bill probably equals all the times you were late with the bill and never paid it on time, yet I never charged you a late charge, " I said.

"In fact, you have NEVER paid a bill on time, and I can remember last year when you were two months behind but I never charged you a late fee or complained to you," I said.

"This isn't about how I pay my bills, this has nothing to do with that...do you think that this equals my late payments is that what you are saying," he said pretty mad.

So at this point I just want to cut my loses, give him a discount, move on and keep providing him services. So I finally budge.

"Fine, I will knock off $400 from the bill, how does that sound," I said.

He takes the bill, writes on the bill to take away the $400, and writes in $330. "Here initial this," he said.

"No problem," I said as I initial it. I figured that I could just make back the money later on with offering him services.

"This payment might be a couple of days late just for you know," he said. Yup figured after I already told you about how you pay everything late, you are going to do it again. (Yes I know, I should have just said, no pay me now)

"I guess that its ok," I said.

"Thanks, I am glad that we have that settled....but I don't think that we can have this relationship anymore, I can't afford you anymore and I don't want you to do anymore work for me," he said.

Right there is where I am imagining myself sucker punching him really really hard:angry: :mad: :angry: :mad:

"Fine," I said as I walked out the door and told my employee to pack it up, we are done here.

Basically he played me on the whole situation and he got what he wanted for free and I am now out that $400.

2. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

<b>Thanks, I am glad that we have that settled....but I don't think that we can have this relationship anymore, I can't afford you anymore and I don't want you to do anymore work for me," he said.

"Fine," I said as I walked out the door and told my employee to pack it up, we are done here.

Basically he played me on the whole situation and he got what he wanted for free and I am now out that $400.</b>

Man that sucks and I hate to say but I saw this coming long before you said it. When the "anger" gets "personal" which is what happened here at least with him all deals are usally off at that point and I think he planned that.

3. IMPACT

IMPACT LawnSite Member

Man, that sucks bad..I'd go take the mulch back off the bed, and also be sure to give him his yard debris back in a nice pile in his driveway. What a d*ck.BTW, RoundUp would make a nice fertilizer for his lawn:D JK..

4. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

I have complete confidence in you tiedeman,
    You will recoup it.
    Give it some thought, you'll come up with a way.................:cool2:

5. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

A couple of things.

1- This sucks
    2- You should have brought up the late payment issues at a different time.
    3- When he started yelling you should have taken control of the situation and walked away until you both calmed down
    4- You shouldn't have accepted a "blank check" like the statement he wrote in your contract, that was a train wreck waiting to happen
    5- If you don't get a single cent from this guy don't be suprised.

6. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

Never apologize for your bill and NEVER knock any off once it has been billed.

7. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

I agree with Avery on this one.

How can you knock $400 off a bill? I mean, thats your price for the work, stick to your guns.

8. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

make sure you PM me his name so he dosen't call us.

9. CamLand

CamLand LawnSite Bronze Member

dcondon,good idea, keep that clown from getting any professional in your area...

10. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

just what I was thinking:D I have just the person for him.......lol