So many comments to date...but now lets to spot a scrub

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by michigangrass, May 12, 2003.

1. michigangrass

michigangrass LawnSite Member

There have been so many comments regarding lets hear from everyone..."If anyone regardless lco's, customer whoever...what is the checklist for spotting a scrub?"

Lets see numbered checklists.
  2. GraZZmaZter

GraZZmaZter LawnSite Senior Member

lets see .... just last week i seen a guy standing by a trailor at my dealer. I have some mowers for sale, so i went to see if he was interested.

The first thing he did was spit some "tabacca" juice out onto the ground before he said he was interested. Than he showed me his equipment ... woo hooo!! an out-front grasshopper that looked like it had been rolled down a few hills (possibly with a lake at the bottom) and a crapsman rider, not in much better shape.

I gave him my card, and needless to say i havent heard from him since..
  3. BRL

BRL LawnSite Bronze Member

Scrub Identification Checklist:

1. One who worries about how to identify "scrubs", instead of worrying about their own business and doing everything they can to succeed.

OK, so now that you have been identified as a scrub, what's next? Who cares? What's the difference? Maybe some think you are not a scrub. Who cares? What's the difference?

:D :dizzy: :confused: :eek:
  4. Mr_Marc

Mr_Marc LawnSite Member

Don't worry about the the other guy, unless he is doing a better job than you. Stay focosed on your business. If half the people stoped worring about the other guy/scrub I'm sure their business would thrive.
  5. musselman

musselman LawnSite Senior Member
    from utah

there are no scrubs...just competition
  6. michigangrass

michigangrass LawnSite Member

DId I hit a nerve?

So many people on this site talk about scrubs so I wanted to hear thier ideas of what they think are scrubs...for someone to take such offense, sounds like I hit the motherload with you.

Lighten up. If you snap over someone joking around on a rainy we're going to hear about you on the news shooting people.

Your remark about me being a scrub...LOL..
  7. harpoonalt

harpoonalt LawnSite Member

There will always be someone smarter, faster, better than you. To them, you may be a scrub. Is it really that important to label people? What good does it do? Appearance is no measure of a mans work, and although I agree we should present ourselves well, the end result is what people pay us for. Where does it end? The guy in the mercedes looks down on the guy in the caddy, who looks down on the guy in the Toyota, and on down the line. Do you really want to be one of those people? If I thought that's the way most people thought, It would be a pretty sad world.
  8. Bouncer

Bouncer LawnSite Member

You know, just because someone does'nt have $10,000 worth of mowers on a trailer being pulled by a new pickup truck, does'nt necessarily make them a so-called scrub. There are a lot of legitimate hard working LCO's in my area that just can't afford "The Best" equipment. I don't hold that against anyone trying to make an honest living. What's wrong with people doing this part time?? So what!!! It's a free country, a lot of people have part time jobs!! Stop judging people by the way they look or the equipment they own!! Not everyone can start out with new stuff, a lot of people are trying to make do with what they have to provide for their family!!! Is that a crime?? Quality of work speaks for itself!! I'm not a Scrub but i do think that many people on this site have different opinions of what a scrub is!!! We should worry about our own business and quit putting down all the others!! There's competition in every aspect of business, not just Lawncare!!!
  9. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

A Scrub to me is somebody that does not report $ to govt, don't have insuance, etc. This being USA, i can say that, people on this site may think that I'm a scrub, because I don't run exmark or stihl equipment, but they can say what ever they want, I don't care what kind of equipment people run as long as it works for them. I wish here in Mich anyways we had to be licences, w/insurance etc. and prove it if asked. I see scrubs mowing res/comm property all the time, taking possible business from me, thats what I don't like.
  10. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

There is a scrub that passes my house every day. The way I spot them is when I see them in their brand NEW Toyota Tacoma and have their brand NEW crapsman 42" rider with briggs 14 hp and and 21" $50- special from kmart. They also use a broo* to sweep off when their done. To do trimming they use a $25 weedeater from a garage sale.