1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

So many lessons I'm learning this year... Give your input.

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by jondcoleman, Jun 20, 2007.

1. jondcoleman

jondcoleman LawnSite Member

Hi everyone,

I just wrote down some of the things I have been learning this year and thought it might be helpful to some or just provoke some good conversation. These are just quick thoughts so don't read too much into anything. Feel free to share any thoughts or things you are learning this year. This is my second full year managing a lawn care company and I realize I still have a long way to go but thanks to God, I am on the way...

Be diligent when you don't have to be. Use spare work time to work and get ahead.
    Do things you don't like doing (for me, calling customers a lot).
    Get estimates done quickly.
    Call people back quickly.
    Have a system for maintaining equipment and fix equipment when it is broken.
    Develop relationships with as many clients as possible
    - meeting them rather than talking on the phone when possible
    - check in calls
    - try to help them, not use them to make money. Be honest.
    Be bold in telling team members the areas they need to improve while encouraging them in what they are doing well.
    Don't be afraid to do something you haven't done before. Ask yourself the question, "What's the worst that could happen?"
    Confess when you're wrong (to team members and customers), and seek to change.
    Focus on your to-do list and prioritize. If you are tempted by another thing calling your attention away, put it on your to-do list for later.
    Get advice.
    Be on a schedule.
    Focus on doing jobs right the first time and if something is done wrong, make the customer happy by fixing it quickly even if it is going to cost you. The goal is to help customers.
    Work hard and smart in the spring (working hard and smart in the summer won't do as much good.)
    i.e. followup with leads, do every estimate you can, market, market, market
    Make yourself accountable to someone else to do the things you need to do (superior, wife, friend, etc.)
    Read good books.
    - Joy at Work
    - E-Myth
    - The Game of Work
    - The Art of Leadership
    - many more!
    Write down everything!!! or you will forget!!!
    Take scheduled time to chill and be with family.
    Trust God with your business.

Mission Statement:

To HELP people by providing affordable and dependable lawn maintenance services with helpful customer service and communication.

SDNCLAWNCARE LawnSite Member

This is my second year in the business. I've been carrying around a little note pad to write myself notes. I learn so much this way. Great Advice.

3. mdlwn1

mdlwn1 LawnSite Silver Member

You said it all.
    If Mrs. Jones hates ants......there shoudn't be any ants.
    If Mrs. Smith hates tall grass....cut it short
    If it takes more than 2 minutes to explain why you cant you cant seed here or spray there, you could have done it already.