So many walkers what to do?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by grasssin, Nov 25, 2003.

1. grasssin

grasssin LawnSite Senior Member

So many walkers what to do?
    As I have said earlier I am expanding my bus. this next season with an add in the yellow pages and also bidding on many of the realty contracts in my area.

My question is this: I plan to buy a 36" walkbehind 17 hp kawi, more than likely an exmark turf tracer or metro hp, is this enough mower to cover 25+ residential yards and apartment complexes?

Also EVERY lco around here has one or two walkers on the back of their trucks and I was wondering if the mulch kit on the exmark would be enough or should I get the bag attachment?

WAR EAGLE!!!

28-23

2. yourlawnguy

yourlawnguy LawnSite Member

Should be fine as long as everything is under an acre. If your properties are over an acre you'll want something bigger. Also I don't think you can get a 17hp on a 36" mower, I believe the largest engine Exmark puts on a 36" is the 15hp.

3. grasssin

well I went to the exmark website to the used equipment and a dealer in Tuscalooser was advertising 36" Turf Tracer with a 17 Kawi for under $4,000. I talked to her about it and she said it was legit............. not sure until I see it.

4. TRex

TRex LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW ,TX

The 36" should cover most of the small residentals and apartment complexes. You will need it to fit in gates and it works great for medians and in between sidewalks and streets. If you end up needing a larger mower you will not regret having the 36". The only large W/B I have is a 36" and since I bought it I have only used the 21" toro for bagging leaves on concrete driveways.

5. yourlawnguy

yourlawnguy LawnSite Member

Maybe it was put on aftermarket cuz Exmark doesn't put the 17hp on anything smaller than a 48" deck. Good luck with it anyway, it should have more than enough power.

6. TRex

TRex LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW ,TX

Yea, I do not have any problems with my 15hp on my 36" at all. Even going through tall wet grass with the mulch kit and doubles on, or a 2' tall yard of leaves that get mulched to nothing when I am done. 15hp on a 36" should be plenty or even on 48"

7. lilred731

lilred731 LawnSite Member

We will give you one after taking THREE in a row. It is spelled TUSCALOOSA.

8. grasssin

Three in a row are you kidding me? Do you not remeber the 17-7 thrashing we gave yall last year at Tubberville- Denny Stadium?

9. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

So many walkbehinds, but only one Walker!:D

10. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

Look at the Hustler walkbehinds. I have the48" super. I haven't had a yard yet that it wouldn't work on and a 36" would. The only place a 36" would be better is if you have to go through gates.