So many ZTRs ....only need one

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TexasBlue, Jun 11, 2008.

1. TexasBlue

TexasBlue LawnSite Member

I am working through an overwhelming amount of data to determine what is right for me. Some data points:
    1. I need a heavy machine because I am large 6'4" and over 300 lbs and intend to buy one that will last for many years with limited service (other than annual).
    2. The area I mow ~ 5 acres in slightly rolling terrain (3 acres like a lawn) 2 acres converting from pasture w/ some rough spots still. We have lots of trees (mostly 10 years old).
    3. Not so concerned about striping or other fine-tune perfections but like it looking clean.
    4. Sometimes I miss a week due to travel so when I am there to mow, I want to be in the seat (not toodling with the machine). FYI - I do pay someone to maintain my equipment annually.
    5. Do not need the features important to someone who does many different types of properties and needs electric lift...etc.
    6. Considering Diesel and Gas

I have test driven Hustler, Dixie Chopper, Everride, JD, and Exmark. So far I mixed feeling amongst them since I was on the learning curve and models many times were not similarly sized. What is the recommendation?

2. RTR Landscaping

RTR Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

If you have a Scag dealer close by, go with a Scag Turf Tiger. Scags are built very strong and cut rough or high grass better than any mowers I've ever used.All the mowers you have listed are good quality, but if you want the absolut best, go with Scag!

3. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

Let the games begin!! Toro/Exmark have my vote. Kubota is nice machine as well. Mid-mount of front mount? Front mount may have more lead room.

Also consider buying used? There are great machines out there with only a few hundred hours on them. My area Kubota dealer had a used grasshopper - 61 hours, 2 years old - mint - guy bought that machine very reasonable.

4. TexasBlue

TexasBlue LawnSite Member

Thank you RTR...did you consider the difference between gas and diesel. If so what did you decide and why? BTW - Scag is not represented well in this area (same with Grasshopper)

5. newtostone

newtostone LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

Scag TT will do what you need and want. Go with anything 30 or more hp.

6. capnsac

capnsac LawnSite Senior Member

I love my 60" Cub Cadet Tank, super tough machine, haven't had one problem with it and its going on 150 hours.

7. RTR Landscaping

RTR Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

My Turf Tigers are gas. I have nothing against diesels,i just prefer gas in my operation. Scag has gone to the Cat engine for this model year. I'm thinking it is 28 hp.My dealer says it has more torque than the Kubota they used to use.Having a good dealer is as important as the brand you buy.If your Scag dealer is not good,I'd probably look at Toro and Exmark.Good luck.

8. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

:laugh: You say that like 150 hours is alot. We bought our new gravely 160Z this spring and its already got 108 hours on it. Tell me how your mower is doing when it reaches 2000 + hours.

9. capnsac

capnsac LawnSite Senior Member

I just bought mine this spring too, so neener neener neener :dancing:

10. Mike Blevins

Mike Blevins LawnSite Bronze Member

I second the Turf Tiger. "Simply the best"