1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

So much business....I'm turning it away...

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Liendeni, May 15, 2008.

1. Liendeni

Liendeni LawnSite Member

No, that is not me....I wish. I just wonder if this is a "realistic" scanerio for anybody out there. I will have to give it to you long term guys out there though....this is a much harder business than I think most "newbies," like myself, realize.

I pretty much expected the worse and hoped for the best so I wouldn't say I am disappointed...but also wouldn't be lying if I had said that I had "hoped for" a little better start at this point.

I have picked up 10 accounts since starting 6 weeks ago. An honest opinion....is that a good start....just okay....or not so hot. I don't know any other lawn guys except you online guys so I don't have anybody else to ask or compare it to. Anyways....appreciate the input.

And like I said, I have a whole new respect for you guys out there with a full work week and/or employees. Some people think you just grab a lawn mower and anybody with half a brain can do this. Not so....I think it takes much more business brains than brawn. Just my two cents.
  2. k911lowe

k911lowe LawnSite Senior Member

if you work,there will always be work for you.
  3. Liendeni

Liendeni LawnSite Member

Man...wow...that was a great insight. Don't quit your day job.
  4. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I suppose the second comment is rhetorical, at least I read it that way.

However, I believe there to be much truth in the first comment. Being at work creates opportunities that you might not otherwise get. In other words, being out working provides the possibilities for getting more work from other sources. This is in contrast to those who have stated they would rather stay at home sitting on the couch, unless they get top money for what they believe their work to be worth. No, I'm not suggesting giving work away. What I am saying is that when work is slack, taking some work at less than top money will provide opportunities to get more work to fill the slack. This will not happen sitting at home watching TV.

To answer the question of the initial post, turning work away? Yes, every year turn away as much work as I already have. And, most of the opportunities come from folks living very close to where I am working. People see me working, stop and want help. This is why I made the comments above, ... just being out working gives you an openness for getting requests for more work. My major problem is saying "no" to the requests, and finding myself overwhelmed with too much. At this season of life, I have no interest in expanding. My intent was to cut back this season, but I am finding that I'm a failure in that regard.
  5. dura to the max

dura to the max LawnSite Silver Member
    from georgia

10 is a decent start. talk to some large lco's in your area. build a relationship and they many times will send you work. i do a LOT of crap for a larger company, but make good $$$$$ doing it
  6. RollTide11

RollTide11 LawnSite Member

I started about 6 weeks ago as well and have only about 8 yards. I guess this must be about normal with all the competition.
  7. RonB

RonB LawnSite Senior Member

10 sounds like a real good start imo. About three years ago I took up lawn care with less than that starting out.

I work solo. Looking back on my calendar just now, since the season started here (March), other than todays rain-out the last day I had off was Sunday April 27th. Seven day week 10-12 hr days. Other than an ad in the paper for a month last year which brought me three customers, all the others have been referrals.

Right now all I can say is be careful what you wish for! j/k go get'em.
  8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks, I really do appreciate that.
    And no I'm not being funny.
    Peace out man.

Other notes: I really wasn't trying to be a naysayer when I said it was a bad year to get into this, heh.
    I don't think anyone else was, either.
  9. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

Now if you could only tell every customer out there that thinks landscapers are dumb cuz we work in or around dirt.

You reminded me about a conversation with a customers wife from last year. We got chatting and she asked where I lived. I told her my wife and I build a house 1 town over. In a surprised voice she said, "Oh, you own a house? I was pissed cuz I felt like I was being looked down on again because of her previous experienced with people in our field. Then she asked what my wife does for work, which made me feel like she thought "How nice of a house could this guy actually have just by mowing grass?" So I told her what my wife does for work and she had the deer in the headlight look. Man I hate being looked down on because I'm a landscaper.
  10. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale LawnSite Senior Member

I agree you must draw a line somewhere, however, saying no completely shuts the door to making your work life easier or more profitable. What I mean is, you may take on more work closer to existing jobs, in turn, building more density, with less window time and/or putting yourself in a position to walk away from anyone who has caused you any slight bit of grief, ie: slow payers etc. I personally have a hard time saying no, I'd rather ask for more than I would normally charge, and figure it out if they say yes. We have made our best money, when we had to scramble, and temporarily re-arrange the schedule to fit a rush job in. but then again, I'm in no position right now to cut back my work load. I figure, I'll take as much as I can when the sun shines-cuz you never know what tomorrow brings.