So much for the wagging tail.......

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by B&Slawncare, Jul 19, 2002.

1. B&Slawncare

B&Slawncare LawnSite Member

My son and I were doing a new account today. Customer has a 3 part yard with a dog in the back part. When we got to the back part, we opened the gate and let the dog out. The owner said he likes the people but not the equipment. Aw, he'll be ok, I told my son. While I was up front trimming, my son say's " I can pet him, but he doesn't like the mower. Still no bells went off. While I weedeated, the dog barked and bit at the string from the opposite side of the fence. Next thing I know , he's on my side and bite's the trimmer spool while it's spinning, not just the string , but the spool. I yelled at him and he cowered off. Next thing, KRUNCH!! DOOOHH!.....solid on the ankle. He was pinned up after that. Watch out for those puppy dog eyes.....

Schlep

2. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

a while ago . a fella was mowing . well his dog hated motorized equipment also.
    so the obvious answer was to put the dog in the house while he mowed the lawn. wrong ,the dog got so agitated it actually killed his young baby and tore every thing in the house.one reason i dont think big dogs and small children are a good mix.

3. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Sometimes they catch the car!!!

4. BigJim

BigJim LawnSite Senior Member

This the one?...........

mowing_dog.jpg

5. AielLandscaping

AielLandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

i've done some studying on this and have come to the conclusion that if you want to kill a lawnmower, you must attack the front tires, bite down and pull with an upward motion. also in order to kill a weedeater you should bite the string or gaurd apparently either will work... :D ... i know animals kill by going for the throat, but whenever a dog attacks a piece of equipment they always attack the same ways... but i think my favorite and actually look forward to is little dogs that want to attack my blower... chiwuawa (sp) vs redmax eb 7000 ... thats a lot of fun

6. little green guy

little green guy LawnSite Senior Member

I've had a few dogs bite the trimmer heads and acually stop the line. One time I had a guy trimming and the dog kept attacking the trimmer then finally went for the guys ankle, right before he bit the guy he took the trimmer and hit the dog in the head as hard as he could. I also had a dobberman that would bite the ties on the rider. Now if there's a dog that we don't like on a property loose we don't cut that area, it's not worth it.

7. anythinglawns

anythinglawns LawnSite Member

A lawn I mow from time to time has a large mixed breed dog that lives across the street. When I show up he comes over and greets me, then wanders off into the neighbor hood somewhere. Once I start my equipment he is right back. Funny thing is he only has a small portion of the large yard that he attacks my mowers. The yard is a large yard (2acres) so my stripes are very long. When I make my turn at the far end of the yard he will stand up. Then once I cross some invisible line he will attack the front casters of my mower. I will make the turn at that end of the yard and start back once I get to the invisible line again (always the same spot) he stops and just lays down. When I make the turn again it all starts over again. He is a very friendly dog but hates my mowers, especially the front casters.

8. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

I had an account last year (they moved) where their dog would drop a stick or tennis ball in front of my mower constantly so that I would toss it for him. Drove me nuts. Sometimes he would lie down right in my path if I tried to ignore him.

9. gravedigger5

gravedigger5 LawnSite Senior Member

Back when I was just out of high school, I worked for a guy as a machinist out of his garage for that summer. He wasn't in good health, so he had me mow his yard also. he had an old montgomery ward tractor and a german shepard. Evidently this dog loved to help mow grass cause he would jump up with his paws on the back of the mower and walk behind me on his back two legs, over most of the whole yard. I wonder what the neighbors thought. Marc

Are We Having Fun Yet???:alien:

10. cos

cos LawnSite Addict

My dog used to bite at the wheels of the lawn boy, just like that!