so, now how does this work?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Jan 23, 2005.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

you go to the customers house, there is 20" of snow on the ground. you clean the walkways and driveways very nicely. 8 hrs later, the gusty 50 mph winds have blown the snow all over the walkways again. customer requests a return trip. is the return trip chargeable? or should you have waited till the wind stopped in the first place to clean the snow?by the way you crackpots who put me down for the same thing during leaf season better have a consistant answer, frankly, i don't see the difference

2. Jeff@SGLC.ca

Jeff@SGLC.ca LawnSite Senior Member

I thought about this myself this morning because we had a good dumping up here and high winds. Now there is a lot of snow drifts on walkways, entrances and so forth.

I was going to pose the question on Plowsite to see what they think. If you are on a per push contract, I would return and charge, you could even get into special request surcharges but most won't like that.

Now up here we run mostly seasonal contracts so it would be a whole lot tougher to charge extra after the contract is already in place.

3. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

thats why i don't mess with snow. plus its too damn cold. :waving:

4. Shawns Lawns

Shawns Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Maine

Would this be something like if you cleared a driveway and walkway and then the plow came back by and put a nice pile of snow at the end of driveway? What would you do? (probably whatever the customer wanted), and charge accordingly. :waving:

5. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

i charge the second trip, except on seasonal pays that drifting is considered in the contract and is added to the seasonal rate.

6. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

wait now, i'm gonna use the most famous, idiotic lawnboy reply to this, " BUT, IT'S NOT THE CUSTOMERS FAULT IT WAS WINDY!! BUTTTT, IT'S NOT THE CUSTOMERS FAULT THE SNOW PLOW CAME BY AND BLOCKED THE DRIVEWAY!!! how would you like it if you just paid good money to have the snow cleaned, and then the wind blew it back? do the right thing, do it for free, the customer will love it, and MAYBE even give you some hot chocolate. and HEY, they may even tell thier friends what a good guy (umm, sucker) you are, and next january, you'll get to do it for them? this is, afterall, a service business. the customer is your boss, and when your boss tells you to do something, you better get crackin

7. shepoutside

shepoutside LawnSite Bronze Member

That's what I do, It is all approved with the customer before the season, so there never is a problem. I had my crew, visit the banks we service, 14 times yesterday, as well as the nursing homes too. Some businesses are closed till Monday, so will clean them up tonight. Depends on the customer, and what they are willing to pay. payup

8. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

my way of handling this is, my seasonal accounts pay flat fee all year no matter how many trips i make ( yes they pay a lot but, money = peace of mind) will call customers pay for every call no matter the reason. they are all given the opportunity to go seasonal at a better rate than they end up with after all the call backs. I WILL NOT CHARGE CHEAP TO INCONVENIENCE MYSELF SO THEY CAN THINK THEY ARE GETTING OFF ON COST.
    the idea behind my seasonal's is that i know i need to take care of them, will calls wait until the snow is done and i'm relaxing after busting my butt then they call and expect me to jump. NOT!! payup payup

9. B&B Lndscpng & Lwn Srvc

B&B Lndscpng & Lwn Srvc LawnSite Member

I am very glad to say that i don't have this dilemma in Alabama. I've never even ran a snow blower. :D

10. Brianj

Brianj LawnSite Member

yea move to florida we never have that problem... but hurricane cleanups are a different story... seriously if it was a good customer i would just redo it when i had time if i was not under contract