1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

So that guy you *thought* was legal....

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Organic a go go, Feb 4, 2008.

1. Organic a go go

Organic a go go LawnSite Member

Looking to expand my business and I want to do everything above board, no illegal hires etc.

Im assuming though that the possibility of getting someone with false paperwork is pretty close to 100%. So what happens if I get a non match notification on a SS# or whatever. Am I on the hook for paperwork that looked legit to me?? What's your experience with this??
  2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

My take on it is if you go out there with this in mind you're playing a risky hand at best, I believe the deal is if you knowingly hire an illegal it really doesn't matter how legitimate the paperwork looks at that point because the entire mentality behind your post shows an intent on breaking the law... Yes I am aware you could not have been 100% sure if you play the cards right, but it's still somewhere along the lines of planning a crime with the intent of getting away with it because it looks fine from outward appearances.

Now I'm not saying I never mentioned it or that I'm any better, but it's just that problem of intent and it's simply not something I would fool with like that, and I think we should point these things out to each other to try and prevent possible headaches.

I think it would be fine so long you employ anyone who walks through the door and make absolutely no effort in going out of your way to hire those with "legitimate" looking paperwork, just let it happen without any extra effort on your part and that might fly, but I mean no effort at all lol and you have to hire whoever walks through that door without any preference...

It's kind of like say you had an electrical short in your house because of some electrician did a bad job years ago, and one day the house catches on fire, and it causes x dollars damage and say you sue the guy, fine. But if you 'accidentally' kicked over a gas can because that might push things over the edge, that to me is wrong no matter how we look at it.

Hope that helps, something about two wrongs don't make it right, not sure how else to explain it in few text sentences
  3. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

There is a form to fill out for new hires. I cant remember which one it is right now. But if you call the irs or any other agency that deals with that they can help you.
  4. warren piece

warren piece LawnSite Member

Its the I9 form. One page instructions are 47 pages.
  5. steve5966

steve5966 LawnSite Member

The Social Security Administration no longer sends out non-matc notifications. They can't guarantee the accuracy of their records and to keep legitimate emloyees from being fired they were ordered by the court system to discontinue the no match notification.