So this is my 2nd year and....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GDLC, Mar 22, 2008.

1. GDLC

GDLC LawnSite Member

Located in south Texas I am a owner of a licensed and insured lawn and landscaping company. Now I know I am still young in this business and there is alot I still need to learn but, I at the moment I own about 18K in just commercial lawn equipment. Most of my customers are happy with the quality of work we do. I run a honest company and charge a competitive rate. I never started this looking to get rich over night. I love this kind of work and if I can do it and make a humble living at the same time well...In my opinion it don't get much better then that.
    With that said my question is, I noticed last year and even more this year these guys running around town pulling these little $400 Home Depot trailers with some residential equipment charging $20 cut's unlicensed and uninsured. They pay no taxes pocket the cash and really kill the prices around here. Yesterday I was at the store getting gas and one of these guys pulls up next to me on the other side of the gas pump. We start talking and he tells me how he has like 80+ customers and he charges $15-20 a yard.. I ask him how he makes a living cutting lawns that cheap and paying taxes? He looks at me with a smile and says taxes, screw that I don't pay any taxes and mumbled something about cash.
    Well as a tax paying business I was kinda upset. How is this fair? And can there be anything done about this?
    Or is this the every day thing I have to look forward too in this type of work for years to come?

Sorry about the rant I just needed to vent...:cry:

2. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

Yup - something to look forward for years to come. Not always the same people, they come and go.

Enjoy the site, good luck in TX and I am sure we'll see ya back ranting later on about the very same issue!

3. GravelyGuy

GravelyGuy LawnSite Silver Member
    from Indiana

I would go out of my way to turn someone that stupid in. Of course only if he's really doing 80+ lawns, otherwise just don't worry about it. Same crap everywhere.

4. ExclusiveLawnCare

ExclusiveLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

yup there are many people like that around here, there time will come and there gonna mess up bad with doing something, and have no insureance or funds to pay for it. Then that equals trouble on there end.

5. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

80 lawns x $20 = $1600.

Yep you should be jealous of him. NOT

6. BERTPCP

BERTPCP LawnSite Member

80 X $20 = $1600 not $160 but still not worth it.... gas isn't cheap these days! and remember people get what they pay for!

7. JRS Landscaping

JRS Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

:hammerhead:80x $20 is $1600

8. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

I know. fast fingers. I fixed it.

I dont know the size of the yards he cuts or what equipment he has but I was well over 10K last year in fuel by myself.

9. tamadrummer

tamadrummer LawnSite Bronze Member

1600 not 160

If that is $20 per cut and 4 cuts a month 1600 x's 4 is $6400 or $76k a year with no taxes and little overhead by the odd chance he did buy some decent used commercial gear.

Yes, you should have tried to get as much info as possible and turned him in. We pay taxes,and license fees, and pay for commercial liability, and in my case I keep theft insurance on my stuff and commercial auto insurance and if I have to hire an employee for the day it is an american citizen and they are payed on the table not under the table.

Competing with scabs is not possible. Just like the Fert/Pest guys turn in to the DOA the idiots that treat without the proper licensing and insurance it is our responsibility to police our industry!

10. casey humphrey

casey humphrey LawnSite Member

what a dumba** uncle sam always gets his bling!!! i see that crap all the time too but what can ya do ??? tell the guy to be a man and not a boy and get some real contracts 1600.00 i wouldn't get out of bed for that !!!

perfecttouch properties