So... this thing with Bobcat...

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Tigerotor77W, May 16, 2007.

1. Tigerotor77W

Tigerotor77W LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Germany

A few months ago, Volvo acquired IR's Road Technologies division (Blaw-Knox pavers and compactors, namely). A bit before that, there was a scare that Bobcat would be manufacturing its machines in China and cutting jobs in its ND facilities.

Now, there is this:

What're your thoughts on what happens next?
  2. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Bobcat will more than likely be sold to whoever will have them. IR is a strange company, I have a friend who designs security infrastructures and IR is somewhat prevelant in that industry as well, as stated in the report if you read through it. IR is a company trying to do too much, a jack of all trades and a master of none. Without a doubt Bobcat will still be around but under who's control is hard to say.
  3. YellowDogSVC

YellowDogSVC LawnSite Gold Member
    from TX

I think you will see a spin off similar to the one that Altria just completed with its Kraft division. I doubt Bobcat will move overseas but there is always the possibility. As a long-time, loyal Bobcat brand operator, it would be just my luck to have my brand sent overseas.
  4. finance2999

finance2999 LawnSite Member

I think that no matter what brand we like, dislike, or even know about; within the next ten years the main competitors will be companies out of Asia that we have never heard of before. As an example, look how long it took Kia to entrench themselves in the N American market. Now their #5 world sales. If an aggressive Chinese company buys Bobcat, I think there would be some nasty surprises in store for a lot of manufacturers as well as customers.
    At the end of the day, they've been sold several times before and it'll probably happen again. :canadaflag:
  5. tallrick

tallrick LawnSite Senior Member

Don't worry, after everything is outsouced and the dollar collapses industry will return to the United States. Personally I have not been a big fan of Bobcat as of lately, their machines just seem too expensive and full of gadgets anyway. I liked the older Melroe Bobcats a lot better.

Big conglomerates can't handle brands with a loyal following. Sort of reminds me of AMF and Harley-Davidson.