So..was 2008 What You Expected?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jeffex, Sep 9, 2008.

1. jeffex

jeffex LawnSite Bronze Member

remember early season posts about the economy and fears of $7 & $8 gas prices. the sky is falling crowd has gone away and pretty much business as usual for me so far this year. A little slow on the start of aeration and seeding season but things are starting to come in there as well. numbers look good for me and the fall can be a good season as well. what was your season like? doom and gloom ? or business as usual? anyone have a breakout year so far?
  2. jason9696

jason9696 LawnSite Member

I would say that I am about 20-30% ahead compared to last years' profits. The constant rain up here, even through out the heat, really kept the grass growing. Gas is eventually coming down, and I think fall clean ups are going to occur around here earlier than last year which should give me enough time to get them all done before Winter.

3. dura to the max

dura to the max LawnSite Silver Member
    from georgia

hard to say, tax time aint here yet...LOL. '08 has been pretty good.
  4. jeffex

I priced my lawns at the start for $4 gal gas . I know landscapers who do installs and hardscape who are down . Mowing for the most part has held its own but no big profit boosts . I purchased a lazer ZHP and managed to make it work on my smaller lawns. I wish I would have made this move 10 yrs ago but my thick skull believed I didn't need one on 1/4 acre lawns. looks like another solid year for me and it's raining again as I type so gotta MOW!
  5. mississippiturf

mississippiturf LawnSite Senior Member

Been a good year for me as well. God has doled out an extra generous supply of blessings this year.
  6. landscaper22

landscaper22 LawnSite Senior Member

It has been a good year. However, usually my phone is ringing and lots of people are flagging me down asking for estimates. I have had noticeably less of that this year. I picked up a new account 2 weeks ago, and that one fell in my lap. But that was the first new account in a few months. I can still see the effects, but since I am established, it has not really hurt me.
  7. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

Been a good year. Started off slow, but picked up. My goal has been to focus more on mowing rather then doing the new installs. Started off with only 18 returning customers (lots of deployments and people moving), had up to 50 with a helper, he quit, and I downsized to 40. I stay busy. Lots of highend yards, most are 1/2 acre plus, with lots of trimming. I just wish people would pay for fall cleanups here.
  8. corey4671

corey4671 LawnSite Silver Member

it has been a roller coaster to say the least. I quit my full time job in April to make a go at this after being part time for 15 years. Started out great with plenty of rain. THen it got hot and dry in mid June and I got a little concerned. Then since the middle of August we have been getting decent rains. Actually having a hard time keeping up with all of it right now. Grass is as lush right now as it was in the spring. Leaves haven't even really started falling yet, but we are looking at highs in the 70's next week....
  9. jeffex

It was a good year for precip. excpt for August, The remnants of these storms lately have killed the drought and things Are green again. People are asking about how many cuts are left though so I can imagine this is a bill they are ready to get rid of. I break up leaf season into several mulching/ mowing visits with a final cleanup and rain gutter cleaning . This keeps the bill resonable and people are used to this service from me.
  10. Rons Rightway Lawncare

Rons Rightway Lawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

2008 is not over yet! Still have 3-4 months of lawn service left to go down here