so we use trailers but........

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by tthomass, Jul 14, 2006.

1. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

Okay, as "landscapers"...........no offense but the real landscapers that do lots of installations/construction, patios etc vs mow grass and mulch (no offense so don't get all up tight)

Do you have or see use for an enclosed trailer? I have a 10,000lb GW dump trailer 6x10 I haul around but I'm toying with getting a 8x16 enclosed. Main reason being storage of tools. I thought I may get into mowing in the spring but installs are much more profitable..........not that I wouldn't start a mowing crew in the future but lets just leave that out for now.

So other than storage I'd use it to keep things dry (ex mortar) at jobsites and so on. Soooooooo, you have an enclosed? Want one? Uses?

New they're about $4300+

2. tylermckee

tylermckee LawnSite Member
    from wa

damn near every contractor, lanscaper, plumber, sider, etc has an enclosed trailer, and for good reason. Its halfway secure, you have everything with you, you can keep every thing ORGANIZED, keep things dry, etc. and just unhook when you get home and you have your truck back, its not full of your work gear. beef up the locks though, most of the locks ive seen on trailers can be torn apart with a pry bar and some elbow grease.

3. Doug Z.

Doug Z. LawnSite Member

I agree with what was said, plus, you have a moving bill board. Do you know how many calls I get just from my trailer??>?

4. tthomass

from N. VA

yeah storage is what sold me on getting one..........i can pay $200+ month for a storage unit or buy a trailer and use it............i also like the idea of otehr than what you listed......keeping plant material out of the wind

5. TWUllc

TWUllc LawnSite Senior Member

Depending on how involved you are with hardscaping, makes a perfect storage for all tools necessary for that kind of work.

6. JJLandscapes

JJLandscapes LawnSite Senior Member

never understood how any landscapers can do just construction and installs and not have a maintenance route... its money while you are sitting around if you get reliable workers you obv have enough business where people like your quality of work .. you can overcharge all your installation customers since im assuming they called you in the first place to do a big job

7. TPnTX

TPnTX LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm really regretting not starting early this year on maintenance. I'm doing fine and still get new jobs but you gotta have maintenance as a base. So next year regardless of how many landscape or fence jobs I got booked I'm going to begin advertising and start up a rounte. I'll probably try and fill a one day a week schedule. If I get more thats fine too. Maintenance and Landscape feed each other.

I got an extra 16' flat bed. I think I'm just build to build it out with expanded metal sides this fall. I'd like to have an enclosed but the money will be better spent elsewhere for now.

8. tthomass

from N. VA

my business invloves:

design/build/installation...........plants, sodding

hardscapes........patios, walls, masonry..........drainage too and grading

some jobs last 2 days, some last 3 weeks...........i have not time for maintenace at the moment nor have an employee that has been with me long enough to turn loose on a job

the idea i'm playing with is have enough maintenance (mowing) for 2 days a week................once i can turn the guys loose they'd be doing that while i do estimates, meet with customers, pick up material and whatever else to get things lined up for "landscape/hardscape" the remaining days of the week

9. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

No offense to you TThomas, but are you a "real" landscaper? I only ask because, all too often, a guy with a mower gets the idea that as long as he has the equipment, he's a landscaper and I don't want to encourage this action. I was just wondering if you are a member of any organizations or have any formal training? To answer your question though, we love our enclosed trailors. Great for the industry because our installs are normally a week's project or better and we can leave the right equipment on the site and have our crew meet at the site, bypassing the extra fuel to pull the trailor. It has proven to be a necessity.

10. tthomass

from N. VA

Well since you basically referred to what I said I wasn't.........yes I am, I do not do mowing, only installs. At 22 I may not have 20yrs experience as some of you do but I do put a lot of effort into this industry. I'm a grad of VT in Landscape and Turf Management, have worked for TruGreen (who sucks) and two local $20million and $10million dollar companies as a foreman/supervisor in charge of jobs up to $100,000. Also operate every piece of equipment from shovel to skid steer to accounting. Learning when to listen and how to do things from some of the best in the industry I would say I'm years ahead of most people my age.............not to brag and no offense either but yes, I do consider myself a landscaper and not just another guy in a truck with a magnetic sign written with a sharpee.:hammerhead: :usflag: