So what are the differences between Stihl and Echo?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by nherweck, Feb 4, 2008.

1. nherweck

nherweck LawnSite Senior Member

I've always used what I could come across at a fair price, and in doing so, mixed brands. I'd like to be able to have only one dealer that'll service everything of mine, so I can build a good relationship with the owners.

What is the real difference between Stihl & Echo blowers/trimmers/hedge trimmers?
  2. FinerCutslawnCare

FinerCutslawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

My stihl dealer that is about 5 minutes away from me is very helpfull! I run echo, but will def switch to stihl when my trimmers take a dump on me...there are always asking how everything is running and always giving a smile and the service is great! The thing i think i like the most is the bump head on stihl trimmers...the echo bumb head is to long in my opinion and is easy to get caught in and burn the grass...just my .2 worth!
  3. mowman84

mowman84 LawnSite Member

Stihl is 10 times better. I have used both and I will only buy Stihl. Might be a little more but worth it.
  4. karol

karol LawnSite Member
    from ontario

Both pain in the A.. to start. Especially when cold.
  5. Dollar Spot

Dollar Spot LawnSite Member

I switched from Stihl to Echo. I have found that Echo has been more durable for me. Their small saws are well balanced and great to work with in a tree. Their trimmers are lighter and have lasted a lot longer than the Stihls i've owned. I've switced over except for my very large saws.
  6. olde_blue

olde_blue LawnSite Senior Member

I have some Stihl, Redmax, and Echo equipment.

Stihl equipment usually has better ergonomics than the competitors. I especially appreciate Stihl's hidden fuel lines--I've caught the return fuel lines on my Redmax and Echo equipment on brush, pulled them out, and spilled gasoline on myself. The older Stihl two cycle equipment is very durable; the new 4-mix is more troublesome, but on a string trimmer it works smoothly and quietly when run at high RPMs under light loads (as when running Desert Vortex line).

I do not use the Echo hedge trimmer and edger as much. Both of my Echo engines' ignitions put out radio frequency interference, which makes an annoying clicking sound when listening to an integrated hearing protector radio. They seem to be durable enough, though.

Echo's hedge trimmer design is better balanced than Stihl's, however, the Stihl's exhaust is directed forward, while the Echo's is directed downward, directly into the operator's leg when held at a certain angle. Your pants end up smelling strongly of exhaust.
  7. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

Echos are EPA compliant, Stihl's 2 strokes are not. Echo also has a 2:1 gear reduction box on their 26.5 and 28cc trimmers, giving them mad torque at sub-$400 price points.
  8. Littleriver1

Littleriver1 LawnSite Senior Member

I have found having the same brand works better than a mix. Pick the one you think you will like then defend it to the death here at Lwan Site. 99% of it is justifying your choise of product and expense.
  9. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

If you got wood they are both ok:drinkup:
  10. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

we use echo, they have a great longevity and are wel balanced. but we have had better luck with stihl saws and hedge trimmers. i have trimmers with 2000 hrs(echo) or more and run great. maintenance!!!!