So what is the best way to get customers?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mikegyver, May 27, 2011.

1. Mikegyver

Mikegyver LawnSite Bronze Member

I cannot seem to get any hits anywhere. I have posted on a group we are apart of, no hits. Craigslist, one sod job that did not materialize.
    My main issue is that I am doing business under another company name that has nothing to do with lawn care. So would this work on cards and fliers?
    Mike .......
    Such and Such LLC
    Lawn Care and Landscaping
    Any other tips? What is the best way to get those yards? Word of mouth has not treated me well.
    mike

2. Mikegyver

Also, has anyone tried joining a BNI (http://www.bni.com/) group? Its about 965 bucks a year in the local chapter.
    mike

3. jwsland

jwsland LawnSite Member

Well if people are searching ads for lawn care why would they call someone who's name has nothing to do with it? Main issue indeed, fix that you might get some calls.

I have generated alot of work over the years from newspaper ads, flyers and craigslist by including the words "owner operated" in my ads. People feel more comfortable dealing with the owner. I have employees but I'm always on the job and the customer always deals with me. My business is smaller so that usually works well.

4. Mikegyver

Well the way we have to do it this year (since I am 17 and my dad owns the biz) is under a different business name. Its not weird or anything its just people do not understand what it means. We are doing this for simplicities sake as we have never run a business until now ( and now we are running 2 business under this name)...
    thanks

5. jwsland

jwsland LawnSite Member

I missed the word of mouth part. You have a problem if word of mouth advertising has not treated you well also.

When you present yourself in the form of an ad or flyer you don't want to be unclear, misleading or confusing. It seems like your getting ignored because of your business name.

6. Georgia Lawn Works LLC

Georgia Lawn Works LLC LawnSite Senior Member

You can still keep your main legal name and still have a ''doing business as name''

THM Aqusion Doing business as Southern states toyota lift. As an example.

7. Mikegyver

We were going to do that, but that is one more biz to get sale tax # for, insure, account for. Both are really small right now. I am seriously reconsidering though.
    Topsides, I have finished school, I will be taking my senior year off for the most part and then going to college in "12
    MIke

8. Mikegyver

I have been doing this for 3 seasons and only have 8 accounts. i look professional, act professional, and keep a tight, clean cut operation. I do good work also. I just cannot seem to get those jobs. Yes I did just nab a 10k a year contract but that was because I know the maintenance director. Most of my yards are large country yards that are hard to make a living at, but its all i got.
    MIke

9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Lower your prices dramatically, start lowballing.

10. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

humm, sounds like word of mouth IS working. I've done a dozen jobs all big from one customer so far this year. This is on top of all my regular work.

Don't listen to Topsites, he's just disgruntle because he doesn't have much work and the lowballing didn't work for him.