So whats everyone goals this year????

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Jon99, Mar 13, 2003.

1. Jon99

Jon99 LawnSite Senior Member

Since this is my first season, I had decided my goal was to have 10 residential accounts by the time the season started, as of now I have picked up 3 in the last 2 weeks...

2. robert payer

robert payer LawnSite Senior Member

Jon,

Sounds like a good start. There is a book called Gorrila selling and it could be of help to reach your numbers goal. Another excellent book that can help you learn a little extra about the business is called How To Earn $60.00 Per Hour Mowing Lawns (or some thing like that) Can not find my copy. It is by someone named Roy Rubenthal (Spelling of name?) Sorry I can not find my book. Maybe some one can chime in on this tip and help Jon. This book can not be found at book stores. Copies can often be bought from most landscape associations I would think. If I find mine I will be happy to give you the information. I might even consider selling my copy. Most of the content is stored in my head by now.

3. robert payer

Jon,
    I am sorry I forgot to answer your question as far goals for the year. Mine is to operate the business with our newly written business plan. Refer back to as needed. It makes for an excellent road map for the business. Serves as the steering wheel. Keeping our goals on the road. We have a full 5 year plan. You can start with one that is as simple as you like. The more detailed it is the quicker your business will move forward.

4. Mike Bradbury

Mike Bradbury LawnSite Senior Member

did you use a software helper?

5. robert payer

Mike,

Took a Business class at the community college. It was a big help. If it was not expected of me for school, I may have never written one. Sure glad it happened. Only now that it is finished can I understand the importance. It is like documenting where you are now and where you want to be and how to get there. Highly recommended. You can start of simple with the first one. But the sooner you do it right the faster things will move.
    The Biz plan software is said to be very good.

Jon the author of the book that was described above is Roy H. Ruebenstahl Jr.

6. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

my goal is to survive another day. Anything else is a gift.

7. robert payer

Goal for the year:

Find co-workers who's qualifications exceed mine!

8. wojo23323

wojo23323 LawnSite Senior Member

1. To retire from the Navy.
    2. Increase customer base to 60 residentials and 2 commercials.

9. mikesjumpingin

mikesjumpingin LawnSite Member

Goals...

I think someone quoted Eminem on this site recently by stating: "Failure is not an option."

This is a new business for me, and I am trying to break even on my investments by mid or late summer (excluding truck).

I'm going part-time this year and I'm trying to get 15-20 customers.

This week my goal is to drop off all 1,100 door hangers I picked up on Friday afternoon. Mistake: I dated them by saying "Spring is Near". So today I unloaded 450. Tomorrow should be the same, and then I'll have 200 more to do before it actually is spring.

I know why the return on door hangers is 1 % -- I think 99 out of a hundred blow off the door (ha ha -- I walked away from a couple and saw them blow off). Now I try to wedge them or shove them in newspaper boxes.

...Mike...
    :blob3:

10. rbruchwalski

rbruchwalski LawnSite Member

My goal for this year, even though my wife and I are just starting out, is to have 10 residential customers. My long term goal is to have enough customers so that I can quit my present job and do this full time, but time and money will tell. Its gonna be tough to make the same money I am now, but you never know.....:D