So, what's the per man hour goal????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by FrankenScagMachines, Dec 16, 2002.

1. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Due to some confusion in an earlier post.....I'm still left hanging as to what's a good price per man hour? Doing small town lots and doing larger 1 acre+ lawns. That way I can base prices off of productivity.
    Thanks,
    Eric

2. LakeSide Lawn and Landscape

LakeSide Lawn and Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

I work alone but i try and get $30.00 per hour,although i do have some that take an hour and i get $50.just depends i guess.hope this helps.

3. grassdaddy

grassdaddy LawnSite Senior Member

a dollar a minute-30.00 min.:blob4:

4. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

do you want something off of the top of our head or would you like to give us some numbers to work with. for starters: how much do you pay for your equipment and gas, trucks and gas, electricity, water, insurance, property taxes, privlage tax, unemployment tax, trailer, tires, blades, plugs, trimmer line, trimmer, air filters, oil, and probably a few other things. oh yeah I forgot. you need to make something for yourself.

in otherwords, if you got very few of the above to deal with, then probably $8-10 an hour would be good. lots of grown adults don't really make that.

but if you got plenty of the above, at $30-50 bucks an hour you still may not be making a killing even though the numbers sound good.

and I am not trying to give you a short answer. your question is legit but only you know what you are willing to work for.

I really don't have formal training in how to figure a decent living wage as some here might. I just know I am gonna get every last nickel I can get out of a days work. and it aint usually easy to do.

GEO

5. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

To base price off productivity try calculating your mowing costs at 650 sf/min (39m/sf hr). See if that helps you or not.

6. nu83

nu83 LawnSite Member
    from omaha

well figure your costs per hour first. Mine are approx. $35/ hr but yours will be a little diferent. You need to include everything in this. Vehichle, mowers, trimmers, blowers, labor including workmans comp and taxes, driving time, loading/unloading time, phone bill, advertising, gas etc. EVERYTHING! Then just add what you need/want to make. Theres what you charge an hour. Pretty simple....

7. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

I am charging $32 an hour for mowing and cleanups, Landscaping where materials are delivered i get $42 an hour.

8. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

$65...and there better be a real good reason for me to go less.

9. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

your hourly rate should be different from jo to job etc. there are many aspects into this. lets say on this one job there is dog poop all over the place, wouldnt you want to be making more an hour then on a nice clean lawn? the lawn can be the exact same and take the same amount of time but wouldnt you want to be makeing more? you must also look into your expenses etc etc etc etc

10. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

you asked by the hour so I replied by the hour. but I don't know why I didn't provide the following:

but I never work by the hour! I work by the job and therefore my time rarely ever goes for less than $30-40/hr.

most frequently its' $50-70 for what ever I do.

GEO