so, whats the skinny on sealed bearings?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by snapper, Feb 2, 2006.

1. snapper

snapper LawnSite Senior Member

i have noticed manafactures are leaning heavily towards sealed deck bearings. So i wonder how are they lasting out in the real world? The warranty seems to be two years on most, do they go way beyond or fail just out of warranty? I havent seen a post on this yet but i coulda missed it.. So whats your expierences? Also noticed on like my new gravely belt drive walk behind the rear wheel bearings are sealed along with no grease zerk on the front castor tubes. Any expierences on how these bearings and plastic bushings will hold up? If they hold up good i dont mind not having to grease spindles and make a mess, but sumthin tells me they wont last as long. So whats the real world skinny on sealed bearings? Do they last as long? Do as good of a job? I am guessing for the types that never grease they will last longer, but what about those that grease regulary?? i am hopin the last pretty good, cause i now own sealed deck bearings, and dont even want to think about changing them for many years! So thought??

later chris

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Fixed decks have sported sealed bearings for many years.
    They're great in that you never have to grease them and they achieve far higher rpm's than their greasable counterparts.
    The drawback is you have to replace them every couple of years, the cost is 50 dollars per set and it's a fun job to boot.

3. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

My lazer is exactly 2 years old and has about 1400 hours on it. It has sealed bearings in the deck spindles, the front forks, and front wheels. I have not had any problems with them so far. I love them, no maintenance. I would rather have nothing to do for a few years and have to replace them once in a great while.

4. crzymow

crzymow LawnSite Senior Member
    from Pa

i hate sealed bearings pesonally, id rather be able to grease them. but not a lot i can do about it

5. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

My Toro has sealed bearings on the deck. It's six years old and has well over 2,400 hrs. I haven't had any problems yet but I have to assume that they won't go forever.

6. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

My experience with Exmark's sealed bearings hasn't been good. The Metro I got rid of seemed to eat them for lunch. My buddy has 2 Lazer Zs and he has had to replace all of the sealed bearings in his before 1200 hours.

7. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

My experience is an echo of Richard. My ExmarkViking came with greasable bearings nine years ago. They lasted for about four seasons. When replacements were given to me, they were sealed. The sealed ones last one season or less (my season is 800-900 service hours).

When the current set expires, I intend to pull out the inside seals on each bearing and grease periodically with a good grade of bearing grease.

8. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

topsites--can you explain why you say the two statements I have bolded?

GEO :confused:

9. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

was also wondering about the second one... higher rpm????

i smell bs.....

10. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

no, I believe you smell TS.........

GEO :waving: