So whats your opinion on 4 stroke trimmers?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by pjslawncare/landscap, Jul 22, 2004.

1. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

Just bought a Honda HT24 I think, (its raining now so I dont want to run out to the pole barn & look). Its a 4 stroke with oil filled crank case. My dealer said its about equal to my Shin 240. Hope it stops raining so I can see how it does tomorow. It will take some getting used to the sound. It doesnt sound like its turning a lot of rpm's, but it really is.
    Anyone got a 4 stroke? Do U like the performance & torque. Any bad news on these or is it all good.

2. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I tried out a Honda before buying my Stihl. It was a very nice trimmer. I am very sensitive to vibration and it just vibrated too much to suit me. Other than that, I couldn't find fault with it and many people wouldn't even notice that part....

3. jsaunders

jsaunders LawnSite Bronze Member

I have 3 honda trimmers. I like them alot. I have 1- 24cc and 2 -31cc. One has a solid shaft and the other is the newer style cable shaft. I love the solid shaft so much more than the cable drive. You can feel the twist on the cable when you give it gas and it pisses me off. I use the solid shaft 31 cc every day. Joel

4. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a Stihl 110. Works good.Lots of power.

5. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

They are Too Dang Heavy.....4Mix technology allows safer positioning...2 Stroke Engines on Sticks Still Rule !

6. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

I don't think that I would like the hassle of changing the oil and all the matinence that comes along with a 4 cycle. so for right now I guess I'll keep using my 2 cycle equipment although the shindaiwa t2500 looks pretty good

7. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

So these 4 cycle engines have valves and cams and all that? It seems like they would weigh a ton.

8. Martino

Martino LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

Not for me.

I need less maintenance headaches, not more.

9. JHE

JHE LawnSite Member

I bought a first generation 4 stroker and I would not do it again. Has alot of power but it is heavy and a maintenance nightmare. Also, mine was set up so that the oil reservoir made it so that the unit could not be turned on it's side or upside down (kinda like turning your mower on its side the engine is not going to get lubricated). So, you have to turn the shaft in order to change the angle of the trimmer head = PITA.

10. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm going to buy a few 2-cycle trimmers and blowers before the year ends. Hopefully, they'll take me through the end of next year. In 2006, we'll see, but I have no appetite for lugging around yet-heavier equipment. The government can't raise corporate average fuel economy for automobiles, but 2-cycle equipment is an environmental hazard? Somebody tell me this is some kind of joke.