1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

So who really does not like cutting grass?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mrusk, Oct 5, 2005.

1. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

I'm about to finish my first full year in business and i have to say that i do not like cutting grass. At first, when i only mowed 2 lawns a week i loved it. Not i am up to 12 a week ($600 bucks) and i can't stand it. I can not belive i am the only member here that does not like it. How do you guys that have been doing it for 10-15 years stand it? Do you just keep doing it because you can't do anything else?

I only cut grass 1.5 days a week, well i used too, when it acctually rained and the grass grew. The rest of the week i do hardscapes. Its a pain when i have to leave my 12k block job to go mow some lawns. I enjoy doing the block. I don't like doing the lawns. I am considering dropping my lawns next year. It seems like its all or nothing. If i could pick up 40 more lawns i could hire two guys an never touch a mower again. I may dump a bunch of dough on advertising in the spring and try to fill a whole route in a mouth, but i just do not know if its possible.

2. Scotts' Yard Care

Scotts' Yard Care LawnSite Senior Member

:) I love running machinery so mowing, leaf work and anything I can do with
    control sticks or a steering wheel is what I love. I used to enjoy grading and lawn installation too until everyone wanted sod instead of seed. Glad everyone doesn't like the same thing :waving:
  3. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

"find a job you enjoy doing... and you'll never work a day in your life."
  4. Tom-N-Texas

Tom-N-Texas LawnSite Senior Member

The lawn service is not the perfect job...but what is? You say you mow 12 lawn a week and $600. If you mowed 24 that would be $1200. Not many people make that kind of money per week. I will say the lawn service gets a little better when you're able to hire help to do most of the work for you.
  5. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

You mow 12 Lawns and your complaining...Try mowing 60 Solo
  6. promower

promower LawnSite Bronze Member

I really enjoyed it until this year, peak season we were mowing 55 hrs a week, I'm burnt out mowing. Next year I'm doing installs and letting the guys mow, if I dont cut a single blade of grass next year it wont bother me. If you hate it doing 12 a week wait till you get 100 a week. :dizzy:
  7. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

Honestly, I'm opposite. I don't look at the money factor. Is that what it is for you? Do you just like the hardscapes because of the really good money or do you really just like it?

For me, mowing pays good, next year it should be even better as I'm trying to get mostly commercial accounts. Good money is always a nice thing and in the back of your mind you really want it to be there. But put me on a mower and I'll go all day and enjoy it. I hate the "business" part of this, sitting at the computer doing billing. I also hate getting ready in the morning, but once i hit that turf its all good. Just me though.
  8. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

I admit that after 15 years... I don't like it much. I am tired and bored with it. I used to enjoy the finished product but don't care much for that anymore either. I continue to do it because.. I am good at it and I make very good money doing it. I keep buying new stuff just to try to keep myself interested and have much more than I need. Next years goal is to build to a two man crew and branch off to landscaping. We'll see.........
  9. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

You get to a point where everything is reflex little thought required to make every turn on the lawn perfect every blade of grass cut with the weed wacker effortless. No challenges just nice open mowing and all day out in the fresh air. You are free to think about anything and everything what order do I want to drive my list in how much of it will I finish in the next 2hrs and 13 mins before heading home. How much did I make today to the exact cent something that’s a bit more entertaining when you did 27 lawns and no 2 were the same price. Then you plan you week after that new ideas on growing what new equipment do you want what do you really need what benefits will it have. After that you can go much deeper think of women you had trips you have taken go deeper still go grab the deadbeat that stiffed you and nail him to a tree in your woods what every you want to think about you can. That is what makes cutting lawns so much fun is you get to know your self better then most ever will. One long 12 hour day dream that’s is what my job is and I love every second of it. Many think you need to be a simpleton to like this kind of work I think on the contrary you need to be above average intelligence to love it anyone can do this but only a smart person can entertain them selves all day just by thinking aloud. Which is why I have 170 lawns and will be at 225 next year simply because I am having the time of my life if it was not fun I would not be doing this.
  10. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

Kelly's Landscaping, I agree 100%! For me when I'm on the mower, theres little effort or thought on how to do the work, so its just "me time" basicly. I can think of some pretty stupid stuff some times :D I once planned a whole engine build for my car and figured the price it would be and everything. Good stuff.