So, who's started spring clean-ups in the NorthEast (I'm on L.I.)

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by lawnguyland, Mar 12, 2007.

1. lawnguyland

lawnguyland LawnSite Bronze Member

I finished preparing for the season yesterday and was going to start my spring clean-ups today (Mon 3/12). I loaded up, went to first place at 8 am and said fugheddabout it, everything was frozen. Of course I noticed my lawn was frosty this am but I thought if I waited a bit for the sun I might have some luck. No dice. I went back home, unloaded and then did topsoil deliveries instead and visited some nurseries (most have no new stock yet FYI). I saw nobody out doing clean-ups today, and I was on the lookout. Good thing, anyone working this am is dumb and will have nice tracks in the lawns from crushing frozen crowns. However, this afternoon seems like it would be okay to work.
    I think I'll try again mid morning tuesday. Anyone else started yet? It would be a bit earlier than normal for me if I could start this week so I'm hoping to to a few done to get the rust out of me bones.

If you started spcu's yet (especially power raking / dethatching) where are you located? If not, when do you plan to start and where are you. It's supposed to get cold again so we may be able to squeeze in a few days and then have a good excuse for taking off St. Patty's day weekend! Hee hee hee. Good luck this year!

2. ACutAbovesiny

ACutAbovesiny LawnSite Senior Member

We are ready but it looks like heavy rain on Thur and Fri. Dont want all that seed to wash away. If the weather holds up we will def be out next Monday. We do dethatching all our props.

3. GreenN'Clean

GreenN'Clean LawnSite Bronze Member

Just did 2 clean up jobs today first ones of the year!!!!!

4. creatived

creatived LawnSite Member

I AM ALSO FROM LI AND I GOT UP AND WENT OUT SAW 2 OR THREE LCO'S OUT WORKED SOLO JUST DID SOME PRUNING AND REMOVING DEAD WOOD OUT OF BLACK PINES ETC., TOMORROW I AM GOING TO START CLEANING OUT BEDS AND MAYBE USE TWO GUYS TO HELP I AM DOING A MAKEOVER ON THE PROP I WAS AT TODAY AND IT IS HUGE SO I WANT TO GET A EARLY START AND GET IT OVER WITH FELT KIND OF GOOD THAT I WAS ONE OF THE ONLY SCAPERS OUT IN MY AREA MAYBE PEOPLE NOTICE THAT. ANYWAY GOOD LUCK.:usflag:

5. lawnguyland

I do my clean-ups a little differently in that I'll go once and clean out all she crapola and thatch, mow, do beds, plus whatever and then round two I go and put down seed, peat, lime, pre-emerg, fert, etc.

6. lawnguyland

Did those punk arse beetles eat your black pines (fungus too)? They nailed Jones Beach.

I was doing soil deliveries today and didn't even hear a blower much less see anyone else out. I think tues and weds would be good and weekend forget it.

7. creatived

creatived LawnSite Member

SOME MOLD AND SCALE THESE TREE'S NEED TO BE SPARAYED AND DOPED UP BAD WOW I WOULD LOVE A SPRAY RIG AH MAYBE NEXT YEAR I AM IN THE HAMPTONS AND THOSE TREE GUYS GET RICH TO QUICK. TOMORROW I AM GOING TO WORK A FULL DAY I AM GETING ANTSY AND NEED TO GET AWAY FROM MY NEEDY FIANCE. SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH*trucewhiteflag*

8. jt5019

jt5019 LawnSite Bronze Member

Im hoping in another week or two here in Conn . right now the lawns are muddy as heck and they say by the end of the week it might get below freezing again(atleast during the night).

9. MSS Mow

MSS Mow LawnSite Senior Member
    from Maine

Still got snow on the ground here in Maine. It's melting fast, and with the heavy rain coming Friday, hopefully the snow will be gone. I can't get too anxious though. It's only the 2nd week of March. Mowing won't start for me until end of April, 1st week of May.

Also, they are forecasting some cold weather for the Northeast for Sunday, so don't get too excited yet. Winter may not be quite over yet.

I have spent today cleaning up the garage, washed the snow plow (salt), run the Z's for about 20 minutes, just getting ready you know. This weather is getting everyone excited about spring. I like the time change early too!!

10. PORTER 05

PORTER 05 LawnSite Senior Member

ya havnt started yet, but i cleaned the garage took everything out started it, ran it cleaned everything,a nd clean 1 truck, prounly wont start till the 26th of march