So, You Find One of Your Employees Sleeping on the Course ...

Discussion in 'Superintendent Forums' started by LarryAylward, Dec 11, 2013.

1. LarryAylward

LarryAylward LawnSite Member

You were just making rounds on the golf course to check on the work being done by your employees. As you came to the ninth hole, you found your employee, Alberto, asleep on the job. He was supposed to be repairing divots in the fairway. Several golfers getting ready to tee off at the 10th hole were pointing and laughing at the way Alberto had fallen asleep in the wheelbarrow. Clearly, you are frustrated and angry about this.

What do you say to Alberto?

This scenario was posed to the 24 golf course superintendents attending the Syngenta Business Institute at Wake Forest University. We liked Erwin McKone's answer. McKone, superintendent of Briar Ridge Country Club in Schererville, Ind., said he would first ask Alberto if he was OK.

McKone's point was not to jump to conclusions. Maybe Alberto was up all night with a sick family member. Or maybe he is sick.

What would you say?

2. ztman

ztman LawnSite Bronze Member

If Alberto didn't have a medical condition that caused him to be in a wheelbarrow, I would show him the gate.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2013
  3. RussellB

RussellB LawnSite Fanatic

If it is a first occurrence and a good employee coach him and move on. People fall asleep in cubicles and retain their jobs. Golfers aren't that special that they haven't themselves fallen asleep at the wrong time.

4. LawnsharkMB

LawnsharkMB LawnSite Senior Member

I say Alberto should be smart if he wants to take a little nap and find a spot out of site of golfers, rangers, other maintenance workers, and especially his superintendent.

I have to admit I have a few hiding spots on my golf course. Lol.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. easy-lift guy

easy-lift guy LawnSite Gold Member

Sack him now.
    easy-lift guy