1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

So you think your Hustler WB is better than my Exmark?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by casey, Sep 24, 2001.

Comparing Hustler WB's vs. Exmark's

1. Mulches better than a TTHP

0 vote(s)
  2. Side discharges better than a TTHP

0 vote(s)
  3. H-bar as good as or better than ECS

0 vote(s)
  4. Built as solid as a TTHP

0 vote(s)
  5. Haven't used a TTHP but Hustler WB is excellent at all above

1 vote(s)
  6. Hustler WB has some problems

4 vote(s)
  7. Used both & a Hustler WB's is as good as or better at all above

3 vote(s)
  1. casey

casey Guest

Been reading alot of good reviews of Hustler products recently but do their hydro WB's really compare to a TTHP? Any reason to break the Exmark WB near exclusivity in our fleet & try a Hustler hydro?
    One disadvantage I noticed is that Hustler uses a petroleum based system for their hydro's.
    Here goes: Answer any or all for those that have used a Hustler hydro or a TTHP & a Hustler.
    Any comments on how the deck compares to a Toro SFS in thick turf also appreciated.
  2. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

Haven't used a TTHP but Hustler WB is excellent at all above

You need to add something for those who have used both.

Lets keep it accurate. You cannot choose the top four it gives you one choice only!

3. casey

casey Guest

If a moderator could add,
    "Used both & a Hustler WB's is as good as or better at all above",

4. Haven't used a Hustler yet.

As far as hydro oil. You can put synthetic in it. Use the same grade, and use Mobil 1. I did this on all my mowers prior to Exmark.

5. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

There really is no need for synthetic oil in the Hustlers
    Every Hustler made uses 10w40 motor oil, then we put in lubrizol.
    Lubrizol is a additive that helps oil stick to parts when the unit shuts down, so when you start the unit, you do not have a dry start up, it also keeps seals and o-rings flexible over the years.....
    When you change your oil, you add the lubrizol.
    This additive is used in all our hydro systems, has been for many many years....

6. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

The biggest reason to use a synthetic in a hydro system is to combat thermal breakdown. Things get mighty "toasty" in those pumps and motors! No additive is going to extend a petroleum based oils ability to resist thermal breakdown. Also, synthetics flow considerably better at cold temps, allowing better performance first thing in the morning. Anymore, thesedays, there is no excuse NOT to use synthetics. I personally run Mobil 1 Synthetic in all engines and transmissions. No extended drain intrevals (100 hrs on motors) but its still relatively cheap.
  7. Same here Thomas

I run Mobil 1 in all my mowers. It helps when you want to get over 4,000 hours out of the engine. Plus it stays cleaner, but does get changed as often as regular oil.

8. casey

casey Guest

So if you can use synthetic in a petroleum based system is there a difference between Exmark's hydro system & Hustlers?

Could whoever voted "Hustler WB has some problems" post what they are?
  9. Exmark uses about 1 quart in their hydro system, vrs 5 plus quarts in most others. You CAN NOT run regular oil in an Exmark hydro system. But you can run synthetic in other hydro systems.

10. casey

casey Guest

3 people voted "Hustler WB has some problems",