1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

soccer field help, small budget...

Discussion in 'Sports Field Management' started by mccutcheonatletics, May 19, 2011.

1. mccutcheonatletics

mccutcheonatletics LawnSite Member

OK. How about this then. To save money, and time. What if I aerate land seedike you recommend, then apply a light top dressing of soil or soil/sand mixture. Would that help with germination at all?
    What is the most effecient way to spread the lime? I have a yard size spreader that doesnt spread the powder at all. It is a push style with the little broadcaster in the bottom. Im sure the soil is acidic there is moss growing just off the field.
    How tall should the grass be when i do this work, I have tried to keep it at two inches. Thats hard with the rain we have had. The zero tur goes down to 1 3/4 i believe.

2. tcjim

tcjim LawnSite Member

pelletised lime can be spread with a broadcast spreader. Topdressing deffinitely improves germination but it will be difficult for you to do it efficiently without a commercial topdresser.

3. tcjim

tcjim LawnSite Member

2" grass height is fine

4. mccutcheonatletics

1 Mow @ 2"
    2 Soil/ph test
    3 Pelletized Lime accordingly ex.50lbs/k
    4 Aerate 2"
    5 Seed 6lbs/k
    6 Top Dress Soil/Sand

Should I roll or drag anywhere in there?

5. tcjim

tcjim LawnSite Member

you could drag at the very end

6. mccutcheonatletics

well, i spent today looking for perennial rye, triplex. I dont know if it is where i live or what. I cant find it. Would contractors mix be a bad idea? Lowes has small bags of perennial rye. It is pennington, but not tri-plex. I am off the next two days and really want to seed tomorrow. For now i am just going to do the bald spots in front of the goal. If you can give me some advice I would appreciate it!

7. tcjim

tcjim LawnSite Member

Try plex rye just means a blend of three different varieties of perennial rye. This is done in case one variety doesn't do well the others will fill in. Pennington is fine. Its better than contractor mix. Contractors mix is a bad bad bad idea.

8. tcjim

tcjim LawnSite Member

Go to a local garden center rather than a super store. You might find rye there

9. mccutcheonatletics

thanks again for your help. Where I am at now it has went straight into summer. I only seeded around the goal areas. They were so worn down i added three inches of top soil to bring it back to level. It took the "board" two months to approve this work. Now that it is instantly summer I think Im done with planting. I would like to know what route to take in the fall about planting/overseeding. Maybe if i start now I will have the material the day after the last game in early November. What will I need to do this fall? Will I still be using perennial rye? There is no irrigation there. So I am taking 5 gallon buckets there to try to keep the soil moist.

10. tcjim

tcjim LawnSite Member

I would basically use the same program in the fall. Perrenial rye is fine. An athletic field seed mix would also work. 70%-80% tall fescue 10%-20% perrenial rye 10%-20% blue grass.