Social Security #

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by gumper48, Feb 25, 2010.

1. gumper48

gumper48 LawnSite Member

I have a mobile home park that I've been mowing for 15 years, the Park sold to two lawyers a year and a half ago. A couple of days ago get an email from one of them asking for my social security # to be used on a 1099 they need to issue me. I'm a little suspicious as I've never had to give it to any of the other owners . I have other commerciaal accounts and none of them have asked for my number.
    I pay taxes on every penny I make, and carry $100,000. in liability ins..

Any reply appreciated

keith

2. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

They will either need your SS# or your 04 # for tax purposes.

3. Turf Dawg

Turf Dawg LawnSite Gold Member

All my commercial accounts have my social because lawn maintenance is a write off. I get 1099's every year from them.

4. CLARK LAWN

CLARK LAWN LawnSite Silver Member

if you have an EIN you can give them that

5. corey4671

corey4671 LawnSite Silver Member

Like was said above, this is standard procedure. If you are a sole proprietor like me your EIN IS your SSN. Any other structure such as LLC you should have a seperate EIN for the business. I have two accounts that send me 1099's. I'm really surprised I don't get more than I do considering how many commercial accounts I have.

6. corey4671

corey4671 LawnSite Silver Member

also someone out there correct me if I am wrong on this, but aren't 1099's supposed to be issued before Feb 1?

7. clydebusa

clydebusa LawnSite Bronze Member

Double Ditto, the lawyers are correct in needing the numbers.:hammerhead:

8. clydebusa

clydebusa LawnSite Bronze Member

should be done on or before January 31st. ,, but I have a few accts that are always a little late. No big deal for me, because I file taxes 1st of April.

9. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Just know your income you really made from them last year, i assume you keep track of that... and make sure they don't try to 1099 you for more than that. some will be sneaky and try to add onto it or stuff more than one years worth on it if they failed to send you one in past years. Illegal on their part, but only if you catch it.

10. Frontier-Lawn

Frontier-Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

when i did get 1099's from my comercial clients i used my EIN, no one gets my SSN!