1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Sockets and bulb longevity

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by Lite4, Feb 22, 2008.

1. Lite4

Lite4 LawnSite Gold Member

This may seem like an odd question. But is there any corrolation between the quality of socket and the longevity of bulbs. I know manus claim that they have differing types of sockets (primarily speaking about bi-pins) that set them apart from the imports. What are these main differences, and will a cheap socket cause a short in a bulb or premature burnout? I am wondering if any of you that use several different brands of lights, notice a higher premature lamp burnout rate with some over others? I am trying to do a little research and I am noticing some differences between fixture brands with the same bulb and same voltage, but having different burnout rates. I have noticed this over and over. I don't know if it is an inconsistency in bulb reproduction or if it is the quality of sockets used in their lights.
  2. klkanders

klkanders LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

"an inconsistency in bulb reproduction"

Tim, Where did you get those bulbs that reproduce? Where can I get me some? :laugh:

:drinkup: Sorry I started early! :drinkup:

Seriously I have noticed less burnout on my Unique fixtures versus Kichler and others.
  3. Lite4

I have noticed that as well on mine. Joey, what are you putting in those sockets? What makes yours (Unique) so to speak?
  4. Tommy Marshall

Tommy Marshall LawnSite Member
    from S.C.

Glad this came up... I have been meaning to investigate a particular Lamp also that I have trouble with.
    I have two different jobs ,different fixtures, Same lamp used. I had used a few MR-16 10 Watt.... I know the rating is only 1500 hours, but I am not getting any where near that. I have double checked my voltages and I am right on. Fortunately I have not used many , but I have some that I seem to continue to replace. I replaced Socketts once thinking it would make a difference, but few months later, were out again. Only burning 5-6 hours per night.

Tommy Marshall
    Light Creations
  5. Eden Lights

Eden Lights LawnSite Senior Member

I never use use the 10watter because the Ushio 20WBAB60 with a lens is a much better lamp with the same affect.
  6. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

I have not noticed any difference in 10w lamp life. I use cast service saver 10w. I have noticed I got a run of cast fixtures at a house that seeminly eats lamps. Seems I replace 2-4 lamps everytime I check them out. Another house around the corner... same lamps... same fixtures... same voltages and I have replaced 2 lamps in a year and a half.

I am attributing this to power surges and having a panel level surge supressor installed when we light the batting cage
  7. poiuy qwerty

poiuy qwerty LawnSite Member

Cast had a "bad batch" of lamps 2 times in the past 3 years per cast reps.
  8. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

yeah and i think i bought every one of them... talk about service calls. I relamped jobs with ushio on my dime. The ushios are holding ok but seem to like about 11v... if you run em at 11.5 or up they dont seem to hold up well. I am playing with Sylvania Tru aim titans now and found brilliant light output so far from them.
  9. Lite4

Does anybody know of differences in sockets from different manus? I have the same problem Billy. I have 8 lights on 2 jobs, and it seems that they are either shorting out or are just burning out about every 3 months. It is really agrivating and I am really considering just changing out the sockets if I can find a reliable socket. The bulbs are Ushios Mr-11s. I have also noticed the same problem emerging with some of the MR16s form Ushio too. I may just have to order fixtures without the lamps and go back to the GEs. Still, I don't know if it is the lamp or the socket. Voltage is running an average of about 11.4-11.7 on each fixture.
  10. ChampionLS

ChampionLS LawnSite Bronze Member

There are only two manufacturers I know of who make halogen ceramic sockets. Everyone uses them, so I doubt they are the problem. Any others would be import, and god only knows what they are using for a conductor.