1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Sod Allowence

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by earthly, Feb 18, 2008.

1. earthly

earthly LawnSite Member
    from IOWA

when we do a hardscape job now we do not include a sod allowance like we used to say for instance $250. We now put in our contract that upon job completion damaged sod will be replaced at .30 per square ft. what do you do for damaged sod on your hardscape jobs?
  2. forestfireguy

forestfireguy LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

We seed and hay after power raking if the area of disturbance is large if not we hand rake it and seed it, we do not do sod since in our expierience it's headaches, people don't water, the dog pees all over it and kills it, you know how it goes.........we include about 1/2 of a bag of seed in all out bids, we are playing the rule of averages, sometimes we use a couple handfuls other times more than a bag, but it all works out to our favor in the end. The only catch is when we don't inventory it accurately and things get weird.......
  3. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

We do not do allowences. Every job has top soil and see worked into the estimate. We know how much space we will disturb and how much time it will take to repair. Normally customer gets billed for complete new lawn install.
  4. csl

csl LawnSite Member

are you using mats or plywood under your machinery? the mats are expensive and the plywood really doesnt last long, but its easier than listening the homeowner ***** about how bads the torn grass looks. as for the sod and seed around the edge of a new project, we usually include it in the bid and be sure to put an (*) by it so the homeowner realizes we intend on finishing the entire job.
  5. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

Most of my jobs are large scale. So its impossible to not make a mess. I just list lawn repair/installation as a line item.

This seems to be a big thing alot of guys seem to forget and belive they need to eat.
  6. earthly

earthly LawnSite Member
    from IOWA

yes we use plywood for our dingo 322, we are thinking about buying track mats. sometimes if it doesnt look too bad we tell the customer to water it if we think it will grow back and tell them to call us if it doesnt and then we go back and replace it
  7. Tiller1240

Tiller1240 LawnSite Member

We do the same thing that mrusk does... we include a line item for Lawn Repair on our estimates. When we look at a project, we try to determine how much of the lawn we are going to destroy and figure in the cost of re-sodding that area. We usually try to install the sod at or slightly above cost, seeing as we have already made our profit margin on the main project. Most of our installs are residential installs, so we rarely need to install more than a pallet or two of sod at the end which doesn't take very long.
  8. shovelracer

shovelracer LawnSite Silver Member

Same as the other guys, we charge for it. However whether it is grass or sod we are very clear as to the guarantee of it. I will guarantee the seed to grow and the sod to take, but only under a long list of restrictions. I will not fix free for damage, watering, or fertilizer issues as well as some other more detailed descriptions. Most are so scared that they just let us take full control of it till it is established. Part of the perc of being full service. If they use us we can get the lawn back in shape in about 6-8 weeks, if they try their own methods it can take a year.

In the past Ive had lawns killed for so many reasons, but the two biggest are improper watering and the big corp fert guys. I once had a big fert guy wipe out 60K feet of seed cause he needed to get his application in 10 days after our install. Why you would apply to an obvious new lawn I dont know, but the homeowner expected us to reinstall when it didnt come up. Well they paid again and we got the maintenance as well. As far as damage during install that needs to be part of your bid, but you also need to know how to minimize the damage.
  9. enviouslawns

enviouslawns LawnSite Member

Try using maple board