Sod and Irrigation

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by jnjnlc, Aug 18, 2001.

1. jnjnlc

jnjnlc LawnSite Member

Not sure if this is the right forum or not but here goes.

Is it best to install the irrigation before the sod installation?

Or, install the irrigation right after sod and pull up the loose sod where the irrigation goes?

I will be doing the sod and another contracter doing the irrigation.

Thanks

2. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

Do the sod after!

3. Lanelle

Lanelle LawnSite Bronze Member

Paul's right. Irrigation then sod.

4. jnjnlc

jnjnlc LawnSite Member

That is what I thought. Not sure if there will be an irrigation system install on this project but I am going to try to talk them into it.

Thanks

5. Now from a little itty poster such as myself, since you heard it from the moderator's, DO THE IRRIGATION FIRST, then the soding. Can't dig if you need to. Won't have be able to grade if needed again after irrigation install.

Your welcome to use my site as a refrence when talking with your client. Just press the "see my work tab"
    John

6. steveair

steveair LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes, irrigation first!

Most of the time, lines are pulled with a machine............trying to pull a line with 'fresh carpets of grass' will lead to a big disaster. Probably end up with half of the sod laying in a big pile at the end of the run with a very 'tempered' irrgation contractor standing on top of it.

Also, most machines used would just destroy it to begin with by driving across it.

If you are bringing in soil, or have to grade the site, do that first. Then, have the irrigation installed. After it is in, you can go back quick and clean up any mess/raised trenchs made from pulling/trenching.

Just be sure to leave the heads a bit above the final grade, so that you leave a little extra height to make up for the thickness of the sod. Be sure to keep an eye on your irrigation contractor for this. Also, remember to keep the valve boxes slightly raised to cut the sod out around them. I use the same contractor for irrigation, so he knows what I am looking for.

If you want, mark the heads with a small flag after they are installed so you don't 'lose any' when you install the sod. You don't have to, but it helps find those heads that get some dirt kicked over them while installing the sod. If you don't mark them, not a big deal, as when you turn the system on you will quickly find any that you covered up.

When laying the sod, its vey easy to cut a small slit in it when you come to a head or to make a cut out for around the boxes.

steveair

7. jnjnlc

jnjnlc LawnSite Member

You brought up a good thought that I had not considered. The machine they use to pull the lines with would destroy the turf.

Thanks

8. scottt

scottt LawnSite Senior Member

I am bidding on a job where the backyard is very uneven and needs to be leveled and sod installed. Seems pretty easy, except it has an irrigation system already installed. I have never leveled a yard with an irrigation system and was wondering how I can go around the heads. I have to bring in soil to fill in low spots and knock down some high spots but don't know what to do about the lines already installed. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

9. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

Scot if the heads are high it's easy to lower them and the same if they are high. dig around one head to see what kind of pipe they use and add more to raise the head or cut a little to lower one:)

10. CCLC

CCLC LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, adjusting the head height is easy to do. If I goto a job site I want the head height correct before I start to work. If I have to start messing around with adjustments it will just take more time that was not planned on. We always sub out our irregation. The company we use is good and they know what we expect. They have design plans for beds and walls before they price the job so they don't have any unforseeable problems. I haven't had any adjustments to make with any of their work. (Except when one of my guys rips off a head with a harley rake).