Sod and roots

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by torquelandscaping, Mar 26, 2013.

1. torquelandscaping

torquelandscaping LawnSite Member

I have a previous customer that is wanting his front yard sodded. The problem is the two nice size trees and their roots. How do you guys deal with these? If i add a few inches of top soil and then till I will hit these roots. Some are several inches thick and will tear up tiller. The customer just wants topsoil laid out and then sod on top. If I add two/three inches of topsoil and then sod there may be issues with the irrigation heads. Thanks, for replies.
  2. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

Raise the heads or make the area around the trees a mulched bed
    Posted via Mobile Device
  3. torquelandscaping

torquelandscaping LawnSite Member

I installed a detaining wall last weekend and was fighting roots. He had a free cut down a few years ago and roots are visible. While putting up wall i made mulch beds around the two existing trees. Going to send him several bids on different ways to do job.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  4. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

In answer to your question, it is better for exposed roots to be covered anyway, just don't put too much around the crown... no tilling necessary...
    Depending on how much light and water competition is in that area, mulch is generally the better idea... :)