1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

sod and sprinkler system

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by JLong, Apr 13, 2007.

1. JLong

JLong LawnSite Member

I've been laying sod for the past several years, however I have never laid it when a sprinkler system was involved. my question is, do i need to just cut holes around the sprinkler heads, or will i need to raise all of the heads?? please help
    thank you
  2. TFmike

TFmike LawnSite Member

most often you can just cut them out, be sure to cut enough out or they can grab the sod when they pop, or spray under it.
  3. bobw

bobw LawnSite Senior Member

If the irrigation installer knew that sod was going to be laid (as opposed to grass seeded), he should have left the heads sticking up a tiny bit so that they would be at the right height once the sod went down.

Just cut around the heads and you should be fine.
  4. BSME

BSME LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

hopefully they're all flagged so you dont miss any. But I would still turn them on first to double check that they are all flagged.

it's pretty annoying having to go back to cut around a sprinkler head because the sod guy missed a couple heads and now they are buried.

dont forget about the valve boxes.