1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

sod and topsoil estimate

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Andrews Lawn, Apr 3, 2002.

1. Andrews Lawn

Andrews Lawn LawnSite Member

I have a customer that wants an estimate on some topsoil and sod installation where his yard is not level from the initial grading during construction of the house. I need to put on average, about 6" of topsoil to fill it up and then lay sod but I've never done a job like this. Here are the numbers on the job:

15'x20' area that will need need on an average of 6 inches of topsoil - approx. 4.5-5 yards

30 rolls of sod
    Probably can be all done in one long day, 12hrs.
    I have to rent a sodcutter for 2hrs.

What would all of you charge for this? Even if you can give me a rough estimate it would be greatly appreciated. Also, how much in materials would you have on this job.

One last thing: This may sound like a really dumb question but has anybody reused sod that has been cut out to fill in a low spot? the grass is in great condition in my situation.
  2. gslam88

gslam88 LawnSite Member

There is a good website for estimating the amount needed

It comes up pretty good at about 6 yards

As far as laying the sod in 1 day, I would probably break it up into 2 days just in case you run into any problems if you have the availabiltiy in your schedule or a day and a half to be safe

3. PAPS

PAPS LawnSite Senior Member

My Bid:

1. (6) yards of topsoil installed and graded out. = 6 @ $75.00 =$450.00

2. (30) rolls of sod or 300 sq.ft installed = .55 /sq ft. @ 300 sq.ft

Total =roughly $615.00 - I'd mark it up to about $675.00 due to hidden costs, etc.

*(3-4) hrs work tops @ 2 men.

- I would skim the existing grass, if you don't have a Bobcat, then don't even bother removing the old grass.